ST165 turbo: hairline crack at wastegate

Q&A regarding engines, turbos, and intercoolers and power upgrades

ST165 turbo: hairline crack at wastegate

Postby TexasAlltrac » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:36 pm

I have a single, small, hairline crack in the turbine housing right at the compressor. It is not leaking any exhaust and is not visible from the outside.

I found the crack while pulling everything off to replace the exhaust manifold gasket.

I am running stock 7psi, about to go to 8psi with a MBC. I run slightly rich in order to limit dedonation and heat-issues in the TX weather. The car is perfect otherwise.

Will this present a problem going forward? I will be replacing the turbo, exhaust, TMIC within about two years. Seeing as this crack has been there a while (I bought the car in March and have almost fully restored it).

Will this crack cause issues? If so, what?
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
TexasAlltrac
Club Member

Postby Gary » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:41 pm

Isn't that's common on ST165 and Supra turbo because of the one flap design? Any way, with wastegate door leak, your car could have low boost due to the exhaust bypass the turbine. But I have yet seen people complain about it here. Normally, other thing will go first (seal, etc..)
93 ST185
Gary
GTFour God

Postby gearhead313 » Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:09 pm

I've pulled a few turbos off that have had cracks around the wastegate flapper and worked fine previous to the removal. Probably nothing to worry about.
ST165 counter:
#2597 - fail
#3193 - fail
#xxxx - sold
#4598 - sold to Canada eh
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/gearhead313/turbosticker.jpg[/img]
gearhead313
Established Member

1988 Toyota Celica

Return to Performance and Power