Street Brawler 46 Trim Final - 392whp@24psi, w/Exhaust!

CodingParadox

We did the final race gas tune at the dyno today. 24psi made 392whp, and 25psi made 388whp, so we're sticking with 24! 25psi is where the efficiency island ends on the turbo, so we're not terribly surprised. These numbers are SAE corrected, on a brand new Dynojet, for comparison.

This was, unlike the last plot I posted, with the aussie exhaust on. Kris is going to make me a brand new exhaust soon, and we're hoping to crack 400whp on it. The aussie has a huge restrictive corkscrew section that's probably cutting down on power by a good bit. 3" exhaust - BS, more like 1.5" through the dang corkscrew thing. =/

In any event, if you want 400-ish whp that's still utterly streetable, get a Street Brawler 46-trim. Spools nice and fast for road use, and kicks you in the ass when you ask it to. No, Kris isn't paying me to say this whatsoever, you should just all stop getting crappy turbos and hook up a SB46. I'm just inordinately happy with mine and want y'all to start putting down some sick numbers too!

We didn't want to deal with switching back to pump gas, so no pump gas plot yet. I suspect around 320-330whp@20psi.

Dyno plot forthcoming, I'm waiting for Kris to email it on over - I'll post it here and on my site once I get a copy of it.

Tomorrow night hopefully PIR's open for drag racing - see what kinda times I can lay down on this bish. :)

*excited*

allblackalltrac

IMO 20psi is too much for pump gas...even with 94oct I dont push it past 14psi...

Awsome numbers! Yes we definitly need more BIG HP AT to represent our camp, glad to see that you are making an investment towards that goal.

Question: What are the spool characteristics of the turbo at 14psi and is it at all streetable for daily driving at that boost level?

CMS-GT4

If I ever decide to upgrade the ct-20, this is the turbo I am going to get.

Post some of the dyno plots.

5speedGT4

i was a believer before, and definately am now.... Man you went from stockish to this QUICK!!! congrats on the numbers! do you have a mods list? just a jdm motor, 205 intercooler, SB turbo, and nemesis? how big are your injectors?

toayoztan

Wow I must say, i'm impressed. This is really exciting for me b/c i'm looking for about no more than 400awhp, and if that SB kit will do the job, I may just get it. The kit will save me troubles from making things fit, finding lines, etc if i use another turbo.

However, that's one thing that gets me thinking. You have to push the turbo at 24psi (max eff about) to get almost 400awhp. If I were wanting to keep that power for a bit (not JUST for drag strip), what do you think about pushing that turbo hard like that all the time? Is that not good for the turbo or won't hurt it too much? Your mod list is about the same as mine, but i'll be having extra stuff. Basically, i'm doing this, b/c i'm still wondering if i wanted more power, you know, just up the boost. But obviously, with the SB kit, i can't do that. I may just settle with the SBkit and enjoy it for a while though and fight being power hungry even more haha.

In any case, congrats on things man. I know you'll have a plot, but do you know what your max torque is? What are the rpms for the peak hp and torque? Where did you redline too?

Bryan

turbo4wd

CodingParadox":18alzet5 said:
The aussie has a huge restrictive corkscrew section that's probably cutting down on power by a good bit. 3" exhaust - BS, more like 1.5" through the dang corkscrew thing. =/

Which section are you referring to? The rear section that goes over the rear axle? because the mid and the DP are pretty much straight..

toayoztan

turbo4wd":3tz5w49p said:
CodingParadox":3tz5w49p said:
The aussie has a huge restrictive corkscrew section that's probably cutting down on power by a good bit. 3" exhaust - BS, more like 1.5" through the dang corkscrew thing. =/

Which section are you referring to? The rear section that goes over the rear axle? because the mid and the DP are pretty much straight..

Yeah i believe he's talking about that. But, David, I was wondering if you could explain what you mean by that, and the 1.5" thing? If that is the section you are referring to, the only other way i see to do it is under the axle, less bends, straighter, but just less clearance.

Bryan

CodingParadox

1. The street brawler is the biggest turbo you can really get that still leaves stock-like spool characteristics. Any bigger and you really start feeling the effects of a big turbo. Also, looking at all the dyno plots as we upped the boost and tuned it further, this is about the limit the stock head can do on stock cams. The head just can't flow any more air. So, it's not so much a matter of upping the boost or a bigger turbo - to get more power, you will NEED more headwork and, more importantly, bigger cams. Stock cams run out of air at ~400whp, it's now quite evident. I chose to go with the SB46 because it demonstrated excellent spool characteristics that gives enough power to be happy around town and on the track, and still be quite good for autocross.

Also, as Kris and I have now demonstrated to be true, I was originally going on the theoretical assumption that this is really all the air you can push through the stock cams. So, to go for more power, you need to get bigger cams, which would really nuke your low end. Everything turned out just as expected. I ended up with the biggest streetable turbo for the 3S-GTE that money can buy that meet my picky requirements.

2. The corkscrew section I'm talking about is in the end of the straight section that connects at the rear diff area. If you pull that section off, inside the pipe there is a strange corkscrew area where for a foot or two (hard to guesstimate actual length,) there is a corkscrew-ish thing inside the pipe. Think spiral macaroni in your exhaust.

3. I'll post dyno plots as soon as Kris posts the pictures. I neglected to bring my friend's USB drive to the dyno, so I couldn't save the runs, Kris has them right now.

RIalltrac

that corkscrew thing is aussies resonator, no? I thought it was a bit much myself, but I do understand why its there. Why not just have a straight piece fabricated to replace that section. Its not like the rear section is welded on or anything.

CodingParadox

I'm just gonna have kris make me a new exhaust - I have some crushed points on the exhaust, so it'd be pretty sweet to have a brand new custom SS exhaust by KO. ;-)

turbo4wd

CodingParadox":32euredd said:
2. The corkscrew section I'm talking about is in the end of the straight section that connects at the rear diff area. If you pull that section off, inside the pipe there is a strange corkscrew area where for a foot or two (hard to guesstimate actual length,) there is a corkscrew-ish thing inside the pipe. Think spiral macaroni in your exhaust.

Ahh ic.. yea that is a resonator section.. I wasn't aware Aussie used that.. I have their DP and mid, but my cat back section is the HKS Hiper and theres nothing like that in it..

toayoztan

CodingParadox":32bj45cw said:
1. The street brawler is the biggest turbo you can really get that still leaves stock-like spool characteristics. Any bigger and you really start feeling the effects of a big turbo. Also, looking at all the dyno plots as we upped the boost and tuned it further, this is about the limit the stock head can do on stock cams. The head just can't flow any more air. So, it's not so much a matter of upping the boost or a bigger turbo - to get more power, you will NEED more headwork and, more importantly, bigger cams. Stock cams run out of air at ~400whp, it's now quite evident. I chose to go with the SB46 because it demonstrated excellent spool characteristics that gives enough power to be happy around town and on the track, and still be quite good for autocross.

Also, as Kris and I have now demonstrated to be true, I was originally going on the theoretical assumption that this is really all the air you can push through the stock cams. So, to go for more power, you need to get bigger cams, which would really nuke your low end. Everything turned out just as expected. I ended up with the biggest streetable turbo for the 3S-GTE that money can buy that meet my picky requirements.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, the extra mods i was referring to that wasn't on your list was basically the cams/cam gears. I was going to switch over to probably 264 i/e. But all in all, it sounds pretty convincing that the SB kit will be my best choice for now. I'm still debating about switching or not too, b/c like mentioned i don't want to destroy my low end power.

Bryan

jprine01

I have the Aussie Catback, yeah the corkscrew thing is like the resinator. Its not really 1.5inch because its not a 3" pipe there, it gets wider to like 4", so half of that is 2", but the corkscrew is only cutting the flow in half not the diamter of the pipe. Since 4" can flow almost twice as much as 3" I would say it does flow closer to 3". Anyway it is a restriction, but I think it is also the reason the aussie sounds so nice.

goldfish

Nice...very nice. Have any of you seen any dyno plots comparing the SB46 with the ATS TD06 on a car with almost the same mods? I've got everything but the turbo and EMS (including full head work with OS valves and stock cams) and I'm debating between the SB46 and the TD06 (most likely with the ATS Rom tune.) I dont really want to spend much more than 4 more grand to finish the engine.

What made you decide between the SB and the ATS TD06?

I'm just looking to finish out the performance on the car with something fun on the street and even more fun on track. I think i can get pretty close to 300whp on the ATS kit - which would be enough for me. Do you have any thoughts on that considering your experience with the SB?