Street Brawler 46 Trim Final - 392whp@24psi, w/Exhaust!

Q&A regarding engines, turbos, and intercoolers and power upgrades

Postby jprine01 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:45 pm

I have the Aussie Catback, yeah the corkscrew thing is like the resinator. Its not really 1.5inch because its not a 3" pipe there, it gets wider to like 4", so half of that is 2", but the corkscrew is only cutting the flow in half not the diamter of the pipe. Since 4" can flow almost twice as much as 3" I would say it does flow closer to 3". Anyway it is a restriction, but I think it is also the reason the aussie sounds so nice.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
jprine01
Established Member

Postby ST185pinjo » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:43 pm

Nice numbersm8, nice story on your site.

keep up the good work. :notworthy:
ST185pinjo
Club Member

Postby TraviST185 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:53 pm

TVIS?
Travis Hanson
TraviST185
Club Member

Postby CodingParadox » Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:06 am

TVIS still very much intact. Taking out TVIS is stupid.
David - Former owner of multiple Alltracs. Have moved on to yellower fields...
CodingParadox
Established Member

Postby goldfish » Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:15 am

Nice...very nice. Have any of you seen any dyno plots comparing the SB46 with the ATS TD06 on a car with almost the same mods? I've got everything but the turbo and EMS (including full head work with OS valves and stock cams) and I'm debating between the SB46 and the TD06 (most likely with the ATS Rom tune.) I dont really want to spend much more than 4 more grand to finish the engine.

What made you decide between the SB and the ATS TD06?

I'm just looking to finish out the performance on the car with something fun on the street and even more fun on track. I think i can get pretty close to 300whp on the ATS kit - which would be enough for me. Do you have any thoughts on that considering your experience with the SB?
David G.
'91 ST185
goldfish
Club Member

Postby CodingParadox » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:39 am

goldfish wrote:Nice...very nice. Have any of you seen any dyno plots comparing the SB46 with the ATS TD06 on a car with almost the same mods? I've got everything but the turbo and EMS (including full head work with OS valves and stock cams) and I'm debating between the SB46 and the TD06 (most likely with the ATS Rom tune.) I dont really want to spend much more than 4 more grand to finish the engine.

What made you decide between the SB and the ATS TD06?

I'm just looking to finish out the performance on the car with something fun on the street and even more fun on track. I think i can get pretty close to 300whp on the ATS kit - which would be enough for me. Do you have any thoughts on that considering your experience with the SB?

If you want the easy cheap solution go with the TD06 and ROM tune - the SB46 will require an EMS to get the most out of it.

The TD06 is a worse turbo - less max power, but spools the same or slower than the SB46... The kit also isn't nearly as well-made. Also, Kris is a local guy for me so I'd had lots of contact with him before, and during this whole process, all of which has been great.

As long as by "track" you mean "road courses" and not "drag strip" then yeah, the spool is great. For a drag strip, screw it, just get a giant turbo and cams. The reason I got the SB46 is to get the biggest quickest spooling turbo I could.
CodingParadox
Established Member

Postby goldfish » Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:41 pm

Cool...ya - by track i meant road courses. If i want a drag car I'll buy a Supra. Unfortunately for me, the only reputable tuners are over 200 miles away. I develop software, but I dont know enough about tuning to want to give it a try without learning from someone else for a long time. Over the last year I've been working too much to have time to enjoy the car during the week....especially when it isn't running because I'm doing someting to it. I just want to be done with it so i can take it out for a drive after a long day of work...
David G.
'91 ST185
goldfish
Club Member

Postby Simba » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:43 pm

goldfish wrote:If i want a drag car I'll buy a Supra.

If you want a drag car, buy a Mustang. Supras suck at it. :D

'course, that doesn't stop people from flinging the things into the 8's, but like the AT, Supras were designed to turn.

Lots of fast, loud things.
Simba
Established Member

Postby grip addict » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:18 pm

so when do you see full spool by david? i'm really curious to see how it compares to the stock turbo as far as that is concerned. if you have some time, a video of the boost guage would be awsome proof of how quick you see your power.
i need to warn everyone-
ATSAaron wrote:You specifically told Matt that "some kid dumped sand into my motor."

don't let some kid dump sand into your motor.
grip addict
Established Member

Postby CodingParadox » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:21 pm

I think it gets to 24psi at like 4700. 200wtq by 3700.

I don't have a video camera, so that'd make it kinda hard to do any vids. I'll let the dyno plot speak for itself whenever Kris posts it.
CodingParadox
Established Member

Postby furpo » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:52 pm

david, well done on the result.

i was just wondering if you where logging the delta - p on the dyno (difference between intake and exhaust manifold pressures)? the reason i ask is that you state you have reached the limit of the cylinder head flow and that also your turbo turns on nice and yearly. this would suggest to me that the turbine side of the turbo maybe starting to become a restriction which is usually the case when you start making less power the more you turn the boost up. when a turbine becomes a restriction exhaust manifold pressures go through the roof and the delta - p becomes less (i.e. there is less of a 'head' accross the cylinder head).

anyway just food for thought and it would be interesting to see what affect going to a larger turbine housing has.

roger
don't mind me, i always need help
furpo
Club Member

Postby CodingParadox » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:55 pm

That's possible. We weren't logging that at all though, unfortunately. =/
CodingParadox
Established Member

Postby hinkle » Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:04 am

Simba wrote:
goldfish wrote:If i want a drag car I'll buy a Supra.

If you want a drag car, buy a Mustang. Supras suck at it. :D

'course, that doesn't stop people from flinging the things into the 8's, but like the AT, Supras were designed to turn.

that is the worst advice ive ever heard :P
i hope ur talking about those huge turbos sucking
06 LTR 450
hinkle
Club Member

Postby CodingParadox » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:03 am

Torque dropped off heinously compared to open DP. New exhaust should pop me well over 400whp...
CodingParadox
Established Member

Postby Hic » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:41 am

Hi Coding,

very nice result, completely enough in my opinion. I was wandering what was your EGT (before turbo) on WOT? Did you measure it? Also, iI think Furpo is on the right track when saying that exhaust housing on the turbo is being restrictive...you will gain someting going to full 3" (without resonator", but also 3.5" exhaust would do you some good :)
Hic
Club Member

PreviousNext

Return to Performance and Power