best turbo???

3SGTEWRC

i just wana know what is the best turbo upgrade for a stock st 185 rc engine?

ct26 t04 upgrade?
ct26 from the 7mgte engine
ct20b?
greddy td05sh?
greddy td06sh?
16g or 20g from mitsubishi?
or eny other turbo that did not mention?
i

Gary

That depends entirely on your goal and your setup.
Do you want a quick street car, an auto-X, a dragster or a dyno monster?
Larger turbo, more lag
Smaller turbo, quicker spool
and of course, you forgot the GT family turbo :wink:

Wraith

3SGTEWRC":2nrl54rn said:

ct26 t04 upgrade?
ct20b?
greddy td05sh?
greddy td06sh?
i

I heard the TDO6 20g is an awesome turbo.. But thats what my friend told me on his setup ... I'm a Garrett groupie soo I would rather get a GT2540R ...

furpo

something tells me this thread is going to be as long as a bit of string.

we can not tell you what is the best turbo. we can only tell you what we think of them.

my personal preferance is the mitsi turbo and this is only cos im a tight ass. if money was no object i would get a motorsport engineering (MSE) turbo.

roger

AWDios

I'm saying the Garret GT28, correct me if I'm wrong but it's basically like the GT25 but spools faster. I'm going for an Autox and some road racing set up.

toayoztan

As far as the td06sh 20g, can someone explain in terms of spool time, lag time, is it low/mid/high end turbo, etc? I don't care much bout the specs YET (AR, turbine size, etc), i'm just trying to get a feel of the overall turbo's performance, not specs.

Thanks!
Bryan

billprice

AWDios":2sq4vu3j said:
I'm saying the Garret GT28, correct me if I'm wrong but it's basically like the GT25 but spools faster. I'm going for an Autox and some road racing set up.

The GT28 does not make as much power as the GT25. You would think that as the numbers go up, so would the power? GT25, GT28, GT30.....etc. Not so. The GT28 is rated at about 290 horsepower, whereas the GT25, depending on iteration, is rated anywhere from 350-440. In fact, I may have a brand new GT25-400R for sale soon. But they all rock!

dj_smiley.gif

toytech

Wraith":mhgmht1r said:
3SGTEWRC":mhgmht1r said:

ct26 t04 upgrade?
ct20b?
greddy td05sh?
greddy td06sh?
i

I heard the TDO6 20g is an awesome turbo.. But thats what my friend told me on his setup ... I'm a Garrett groupie soo I would rather get a GT2540R ...
I have a gt2540r with a .64 ar brand new fro sale now... :D

billprice

toytech":2r91ymrg said:
Wraith":2r91ymrg said:
3SGTEWRC":2r91ymrg said:

ct26 t04 upgrade?
ct20b?
greddy td05sh?
greddy td06sh?
i

Really? That's what I have.......except mine has been Jet-Hot ceramic coated.

billprice

Wraith":3fkome3k said:
toytech":3fkome3k said:

I dont need a GT2540R it wouldnt support my power needs. I have a GT4088R currently...

Of course you do. And if you install that on a 3SGTE, you can hit the gas and wait a few days for the boost to hit. LOL.

illGT4

gearhead313":2eml7yk7 said:
OlyST185":2eml7yk7 said:
get rid of all crap. get an heavy duty , fast spooling, maximum efficiency of the Garrett GT-R series ;)

GT-R series turbo's are more than my alltrac is worth!!!!

your alltrac isn't worth more than $1300 ? :)

illGT4

toayoztan":a2y7np6d said:
As far as the td06sh 20g, can someone explain in terms of spool time, lag time, is it low/mid/high end turbo, etc? I don't care much bout the specs YET (AR, turbine size, etc), i'm just trying to get a feel of the overall turbo's performance, not specs.

Thanks!
Bryan

It's a "medium" sized turbo. Spool isn't bad at all. Depends on your setup. I just saw a plot of an ATS modified TD-06 reaching full boost at ~3200rpm. That's with an ext. gate, modified lines and it's also water cooled.

The TD-06 will put down anything from 300awhp-400awhp. And then some if you want to go all out.

I rode in Herman's car with TD-06. At the time he was running rich, but I didn't notice bad spool characteristics at all.

As with most turbochargers its size, they really start to shine above 1 bar of boost.

shoteh

how much are you planning to spend...if green is unlimited...T78 or the GT35...but plan on spending much more for extra stuff ie ecu, fm, arm n leg. Sorry this mayb be big jump from stock. hehe

enzytebob

toayoztan":2cw2xc4n said:

Thanks!
Bryan

A TD06 is a more than worthy replacement to the Ct26 in terms of all around power, ability to hold boost and to pull hard to the redline. It starts to manifest itself at around 3,000 rpm. I estimate a 25 to 30 percent overall improvement compared to even an upgraded ct26. The biggest benefits are that unlike the stock turbo, the TD06 will keep boosting hard all the way and reacts well to further mods.

illGT4

shoteh":29t9lqtx said:
how much are you planning to spend...if green is unlimited...T78 or the GT35...but plan on spending much more for extra stuff ie ecu, fm, arm n leg

All in all about 10-12k more. I've already got about 19k into it now. :(

I've already got a line on the other stuff.. just narrowing it down to which turbo and what ic route.

Dude the T78 and GT35 are waaaay too big for me. I don't want to wait that long for boost. ;)

illGT4

enzytebob":1ksm6zs5 said:
A TD06 is a more than worthy replacement to the Ct26 in terms of all around power, ability to hold boost and to pull hard to the redline. It starts to manifest itself at around 3,000 rpm. I estimate a 25 to 30 percent overall improvement compared to even an upgraded ct26. The biggest benefits are that unlike the stock turbo, the TD06 will keep boosting hard all the way and reacts well to further mods.

Exactly.. Plus it's been around a while.