Full Race Manifold

Q&A regarding engines, turbos, and intercoolers and power upgrades

Postby Zeus » Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:02 pm

gt_turbo wrote:on the website it was listed at $550 i believe.

hmm well maybe it was for the whole deal with ewg dump tube and downpipe... or maybe i converted it to CDN funds

furpo wrote:im not the exhaust guru either but why would cars like this lun a long manifold when it is not the best?

this is andre simon's 9sec drag car. it has not be run yet as is, that time was done with a full chassis so this should be an 8 sec car.

roger

i beleive a good long runner equal length manifold is best for power production... it equalizes out all the cylenders for best spool up...

however for a daily driver car they are hell! too much heat!
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Blake Brown
Zeus
Club Member

Postby Griffin » Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:36 am

If you look at the manifold shape teh exhaust flow is almost directly from the ports to the turbo in a straight line. They are probably keeping the exhaust velocity so dang high due to no restrictions and no bends that they don't loose a lot of heat. Plus I'm sure they have some kind of super slick ceramic coating in those pipes.
Dave Staba
Owner - DD Performance Research
SOLD - 1990 Black ST185
Current - 2000 Celica GTS , 2000 MR2 Spyder, 2013 Scion FR-S
Sealy, TX
Griffin
Established Member

Postby furpo » Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:33 am

so very basicaly what is important is the amount of force (ie pressure difference) there is across the turbo. if the exhaust gas is allowed to cool it takes up less volume and is therefore at a lower pressure resulting in a lesser pressure ratio across the turbine. a combination of gas velocity and pressure is the force. so a long straight manifold can work as well as a short curvy one?

roger
don't mind me, i always need help
furpo
Club Member

Postby furpo » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:23 am

would there be any problem if the turbo was mounted on an angle? ie the compressor side higher than the turbine side

roger
don't mind me, i always need help
furpo
Club Member

Postby Zeus » Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:14 pm

furpo wrote:so very basicaly what is important is the amount of force (ie pressure difference) there is across the turbo. if the exhaust gas is allowed to cool it takes up less volume and is therefore at a lower pressure resulting in a lesser pressure ratio across the turbine. a combination of gas velocity and pressure is the force. so a long straight manifold can work as well as a short curvy one?

roger

as far as i know that is correct... but the problem would be mounting a long one like that... not all of us are running full out drag cars
Blake Brown
Zeus
Club Member

Postby Griffin » Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:41 pm

furpo wrote:so very basicaly what is important is the amount of force (ie pressure difference) there is across the turbo. if the exhaust gas is allowed to cool it takes up less volume and is therefore at a lower pressure resulting in a lesser pressure ratio across the turbine. a combination of gas velocity and pressure is the force. so a long straight manifold can work as well as a short curvy one?

roger

Correct - exhaust velocity and pressure are what drive a turbo, so anything that lets you maintain them is inherently a good thing.
Dave Staba
Owner - DD Performance Research
SOLD - 1990 Black ST185
Current - 2000 Celica GTS , 2000 MR2 Spyder, 2013 Scion FR-S
Sealy, TX
Griffin
Established Member

Previous

Return to Performance and Power