Silly Idea... I think...

Q&A regarding engines, turbos, and intercoolers and power upgrades

Silly Idea... I think...

Postby CodingParadox » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:55 pm

So a thought occurred to me a while back and I dismissed it as silly to start with, but the more I think about it, it seems like it'd work.

If you extended the turbo shaft out beyond the compressor housing and then hooked up an electric motor to it, could you in theory then stick a button on your dash to "pre-spool" the turbo before a launch? It might not be able to spool incredibly high, but anything helps over zero, and that idea seems a lot easier to implement than a stutterbox.

I realize it's probably just a dumb idea, but I'm curious as to why exactly it's a dumb idea. Bring on the flames. :D
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
David - Former owner of multiple Alltracs. Have moved on to yellower fields...
CodingParadox
Established Member

Postby MrWOT » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:10 pm

Yeah, it's a dumb idea, but it's okay we all have them occasionally :D :wink:

It wont work because the turbine needs to be around 100,000 rpm before you see boost. Without a complex and VERY expensive gear drive system, you wont be able to do it since the motor wouldn't spin that high. Also, you would need a clutch to disengage the motor when the turbine is driven by exhaust gas, or else you would get parasitic drag from the motor.

There actually is a system that uses a motor to drive the compressor portion of a turbo though, that's exactly what a centrifugal supercharger is :) Compressor half of a turbo, with a belt powered gear drive on the other side.
MrWOT
Club Member

Postby CodingParadox » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:30 pm

Ah, I didn't realize that turbos spun at 100k RPMs.

Yeah, I know about centrifugal belt-driven SCs, I'm just trying to think of some way to get the benefits of a turbo with the once in a while benefit of a supercharger if you want it. :)

But yeah, spinning up to 100k RPMs will be something of a challenge. Well, that explains that. Thanks. :)
CodingParadox
Established Member

Postby BoostedBlueToyotas » Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:14 am

Hey you could do this instead of using an altenator, use
the turbo to spin an altenator :P
Tim Plessing
Columbia, MD

1990 ST185 - blue/blue cloth 152K-SOLD
1993 MR2 turbo - blue/black leather 59K TOTALLED/PARTING OUT
2006 Acura TSX - black/black 6 spd
2006 Mini Cooper S JCW Space blue/Silver roof 39k
2006 Mini Cooper JCW Silver/black roof 34k
BoostedBlueToyotas
Established Member

Re: Silly Idea... I think...

Postby alltracman78 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:08 am

CodingParadox wrote: but anything helps over zero,

Once the engine is runnig, the turbo is never at zero rpms. It's always got some spin to it...
alltracman78
GTFour God

Postby furpo » Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:46 am

also it takes quite a bit of power to drive a 500+ cfm compressor to 10+psi above atmospehre. you would need a very heavy motor to do it. if you are worried about it try a 25-50 hp nos kit or an anti lag or a launch controller. even free reving i can get about 6psi boost so the turbo is doing something.

roger
don't mind me, i always need help
furpo
Club Member

Postby CodingParadox » Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:50 am

For one, I'll never ever stick NOS in my car... Far as I'm concerned, it's about the stupidest thing one could ever do.

For another, this was just an amusing idea that trickled across my head. I really don't care at all about actually implementing it.

Though I kinda wanan know how you can get 6psi free revving. I'm pretty sure I'll redline before I get any real boost. Though, I haven't tried it because free revving to redline is dumb as hell.
CodingParadox
Established Member

Postby furpo » Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:05 am

yes it is dumb. then again i am prepared to fix things. i launch my car off the limiter with my foot flat to the floor. i don't make a habbit of doing it. i don't race the gt4 very often. i have a mini that i race.

i had a similar idea to you a while ago but instead of an electric motor i was going to use a two stroke engine to run a blower till i found out how big the engine had to be. well done on thinking out side the box. every now and again you will come up with something that works that no one knew about.

with the nos a lot of proven cars use it for spooling a big turbo. i was suggesting it as imo a better option. just trying to help out.

roger
furpo
Club Member

Postby CodingParadox » Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:08 am

Yeah... Wish I had money to fix shit when it broke like that. :)

NOS is just too dangerous... Never gonna mess with it, even though I know its proven performance benefit. I'm out to have fun, not risk killing myself.
CodingParadox
Established Member

Postby furpo » Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:13 am

fair enough.

keep have fun

roger
furpo
Club Member

Postby alltracman78 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:13 am

NOS isn't really dangerous. Unless you set it up stupid. Just like a gun. If you are careful around it, it's safe, but if you are careless, watch out.
alltracman78
GTFour God

Postby SnowDRiFT » Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:05 am

guns dont kill people, dangerous minorities do!

same applies to nitrous and stupid ricers who dont know what they are doing....
ST185
RC SWAP
AEM EMS
SnowDRiFT
Club Member

Postby CodingParadox » Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:22 am

It's still a dangerously explosive substance sitting inside your car in a spot usually far more explosive than your gas tank. This is my understanding, anyway.
CodingParadox
Established Member

Postby furpo » Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:35 am

nitious oxide is not explosive in any way shape or form. think of it as compressed air but with slightly different ratios than the atmosphere. about 33% oxygen compared to about 20% oxygen in the atmosphere. nitrous oxide does not give you more power by injecting it into your engine. it allows you to make more power by allowing you to burn more fuel because it has a higher oxygen content than the atmoshere. this why nos kits are rated in horsepower amounts. they give the potential to add x amount of power. they never do add this much power because you have to run an engine rich so there is fuel going in that does nothing but take up room. there are a number of other reasons aswell.

remember it is not the size of your gun that matters nor where you aim it, it is the size of the bang that matters. am i right girls 8) 8) :smokes: :D :oops: ?

roger
furpo
Club Member

Postby CodingParadox » Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:36 am

I know it's not the NOS itself. But you have something that burns way faster than air sitting there, in compressed form. If your car catches on fire for any reason, you're pretty fucked, it seems. Please tell me if I'm wrong here.
CodingParadox
Established Member

Next

Return to Performance and Power