HKS Silent Hi-Power update..

Q&A regarding engines, turbos, and intercoolers and power upgrades

Postby alltracshoak » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:45 am

there is no bov on it. i took off my fmic and installed my tmic back on because of the accident. thanks for the compliment though.( no sounds of the bov)
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
current:
90 st185
GT4 AWD
rip: 92 st185 @ 178k :(
alltracshoak
Gold Member

Postby turbo4wd » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:11 am

theUNYTEDone wrote:the old school hi-power is discontinued, are there any sources for them? and the angle will be the same as your muffler, yes? (silent vs. hi-power

I doubt you'll find any vendor that still has the older version only because most vendors drop shipped from HKS instead of keeping them in stock.

The older version hiper and this new "silent" version are identical in every way except for the canister design..
Dan
Undercover Moderator
turbo4wd
Established Member

Postby Meurz » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:35 pm

turbo4wd wrote:The older version hiper and this new "silent" version are identical in every way except for the canister design..

And my Silent is FULLY SS, the Hi-Power is mild steel piping with SS muffler. The angle is indeed the same. Iirc Gman from this board has a Hi-Power new in box laying around, I've talked to him about buying it before I decided I wanted fully SS.
Turbocelica.nl
Meurz
Established Member

Postby theUNYTEDone » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:12 am

hmm...sounds good, i'll PM Gman and inquire about it.

...how're the muffler designs different? doe the new one have some type on internal baffling?

ah, and one more Q: i was on the hksusa site and they are still advertising the old school hipower for our cars (or did the silent BECOME the new hipower??? :shrug: )...i'd have to pic a vendor in i suppose california.
Nigel in Hawaii
From Hell and Back
theUNYTEDone
GTFour God

Postby Meurz » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:53 am

theUNYTEDone wrote:...how're the muffler designs different? doe the new one have some type on internal baffling?

I guess so, the Silent competes with the JASMA regulations, Japanese sound level shit. I've heard the Hi-Power on another Dutch CS and I now have the Silent myself, to be honest the sound is almost identical btw.

ah, and one more Q: i was on the hksusa site and they are still advertising the old school hipower for our cars (or did the silent BECOME the new hipower??? :shrug: )...i'd have to pic a vendor in i suppose california.

If you read HKSUSA.com you'll see it actually is the Silent:

31019-AT009 TOYOTA Celica All Trac 1990-1993 Turbo ; Silent Hi-Power, Japanese Spec. HP 120 75 $640.00

Afaik more and more systems (specially new production runs from older models) now only come as Silent for that JASMA stuff. The HKSUSA website isn't really up2date..

JASMA approval on the muffler:

Turbocelica.nl
Meurz
Established Member

Postby abraxxa » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:44 pm

Do you know if the JASMA brings any advantage for registration of the exhaust like TUEV?
facelift ST205
abraxxa
Club Member

Postby Meurz » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:10 pm

I don't know mate. As I said on MSN we can install about everything on our cars here as long as it stays within reason. I might use it if a cop ever pulls me over for the sound though :P
Turbocelica.nl
Meurz
Established Member

Re: HKS Silent Hi-Power update..

Postby blk_panther » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:34 am

This thread is old, but I'm reviving it to ask a question. I'm looking to buy the HKS Silent Hi-Power, but how is this a direct bolt on? The stock DP uses a 3 bolt connection. But in all of the pictures I can find, the HKS has only 2 bolt holes. I realize the pipe is larger than stock, is that why there are only 2 holes instead of 3?
-'88 ST165 - Awaiting upgrades
-'95 Honda XR600
blk_panther
Club Member

Postby lumbercis » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:49 pm

^Because it only replaces the back section. I.e. it bolts to the midpipe not the downpipe.

You'd need to purchase a midpipe and downpipe separately for a turbo-back exhaust.
Caldina powered...
lumbercis
Gold Member

Postby blk_panther » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:30 pm

Ohhh, it all makes sense now, I didn't realize there is a third section. It says it's a "cat back" exhaust, I guess it means the 2nd cat. Thanks!
-'88 ST165 - Awaiting upgrades
-'95 Honda XR600
blk_panther
Club Member

Previous

Return to Performance and Power