935 motorsports or other turbo upgrade for st165

190hpcelica

hi, does any1 in here every brought the hybrid turbo for the st165?? and when do you feel boost and how long does it hold. or anything that i can get start boost at 3k rpm and hold until 6.5k rpm

RedCelicaTRD

The hybrid turbo will hold the boost clear till redline if you get a full exhaust also. The hybrid will also make more power in the long run then a ct26 ever could. As for when boost starts i dont know.

190hpcelica

RedCelicaTRD, how do you know that the hybrid on is betta do you know any1 that has it? the reason im asking this is i dont wanna buy something that wasnt worth it you know thanks

illGT4

A hybrid turbo replaces the turbine wheel and/or the ex. housing.

This is the restriction on the CT26, the ex. housing.

The CT26 upgrade will only take you so far.. Some now are doing 300whp.
A hybrid can make just about whatever is put into it.

IF you don't have the supporting mods, the hybrid is going to be too much.

By supporting mods I mean larger injectors, and some GOOD way of controling them.

What other modifications do you have?

If you are running a stock or near stock 165, than you should just go with the ct26 upgrade (larger comp. wheel and MKIII supra ex. housing).

Remember you only have fuel and ign. maps to 10 psi on the 165. So any more than that and you are running blind.

It's all about your goals. If your goals don't include bigger injectors or a better engine control system; You are going to be limited.

190hpcelica

hi illGT4, my goals are making 300-320 hp or 13s and i want a turbo the spools up around 3500rpm. i understand i need to upgrade my fuel system also. as of right now theres really no mods done to it. my plan right now it rebuild eng. forge everything on the bottom, full exhaust system, intercooler, boost controller, stock fuel injectors depending on turbo system,stage 1 or 2 cluch. and last thing will b jet ecu upgrade .then upgrade the turbo (debating cust. ct26 upgrade, or 935 hybrid) got $5k to play with thanks

illGT4

190hpcelica":3gu411c6 said:
hi illGT4, my goals are making 300-320 hp or 13s and i want a turbo the spools up around 3500rpm. i understand i need to upgrade my fuel system also. as of right now theres really no mods done to it. my plan right now it rebuild eng. forge everything on the bottom, full exhaust system, intercooler, boost controller, stock fuel injectors depending on turbo system,stage 1 or 2 cluch. and last thing will b jet ecu upgrade .then upgrade the turbo (debating cust. ct26 upgrade, or 935 hybrid) got $5k to play with thanks

And keep in mind what your stock injectors are able to do.

If you want 300 hp (crank/engine) than fine.
but if you want wheel hp.. than forget it..

not enough fuel to do it safely.

190hpcelica

i called up turbonetics they told me the i cant use the supra housing with my st 165. also how much boost will i be putting out around ? one more thing i dont need to forge the bottom end then right? cause im not making anything more then 320hp. thanks for the help :D

RedCelicaTRD

Im sure turbonetics was just confused and thought you had a twin entry manifold like the st185s have. This would make it so the supra housing wouldnt work to well. A few supra guys out there have the hybrid turbo and they seem to like it. When I was thinking of getting a MK3 supra this was the turbo i was going to get. It has a decent match of spool up and top end and bolts right up. I would get this turbo over any modified ct 26 out there. I think a good option for you would be a greddy emanage, ~600cc injectors, full exhaust, a large heat exchanger for the intercooler and some water injection for safety. Your motor should be able to handle 300awhp if its in good shape so a basic rebuild should be done and new internals wont be needed. A good clutch of your choice will also be needed. This should give you enough power and top end flow to get you into the low 13s if you can drive the car.

illGT4

RedCelicaTRD":1ztus0ml said:
Im sure turbonetics was just confused and thought you had a twin entry manifold like the st185s have. This would make it so the supra housing wouldnt work to well. A few supra guys out there have the hybrid turbo and they seem to like it. When I was thinking of getting a MK3 supra this was the turbo i was going to get. It has a decent match of spool up and top end and bolts right up. I would get this turbo over any modified ct 26 out there. I think a good option for you would be a greddy emanage, ~600cc injectors, full exhaust, a large heat exchanger for the intercooler and some water injection for safety. Your motor should be able to handle 300awhp if its in good shape so a basic rebuild should be done and new internals wont be needed. A good clutch of your choice will also be needed. This should give you enough power and top end flow to get you into the low 13s if you can drive the car.

Exactly! Good Post! I concur lol..

935motorsports

The hybrid turbo has a stage 3 T3 wheel, so some lag will be noticed. It will punch hard though, and have a better top end then a stock CT26.

However, a quick spooling ct26 like 46 or 50 trim, metal head gasket, fuel upgrade, and a good clutch will get you in the 13s no problem. Assuming you are a good driver.

My first ST165 went deep into the 13s on this setup, with a stock intercooler and no downpipe. It was running 20 psi however. I don't suggest this route at all, it is just an example.

190hpcelica

Remember you only have fuel and ign. maps to 10 psi on the 165. So any more than that and you are running blind.

wat do you mean by that??

illGT4

It means the ECU has maps to 10 psi. If you boost above that, you run the chance of damaging your engine. It's not programmed to run above that. So when you run 15psi, the ECU thinks you are still running 10psi. Imagine the ignition advance you can get away with at only 10psi.. then run that same advance on 15psi. Get the picture?

I'm not saying people havn't, but every engine is different. If you are going to run more than stock boost you should equip the vehicle to do it as safe as possible to aviod a tear down of the engine later.

RedCelicaTRD

You will be ok if you do it right. It is kinda deceptive to say you only have maps to 10 psi since the ecu uses engine load calculated by the AFM but thats a whole different story.