BOV..which ones better?

shoteh

hey which Bov would you guys prefer...Which one is better? louder?..I want a loud one to kind of show off haha but i dont know which one would be better for the st185...o yea and I heard that you need a flange for it but how would you get it on j/w. thanks

Griffin

I'm a big fan of the HKS SSQV, and you can mount it with a Samco T hose. I'm pretty sure 935 sells both of them.

mototebok

Yeah, the MR2 guys like the HKS SSQV because it mimicks the mr2 oem bypass valve.

You will need a Samco T coupler and then some way to pipe it back into the intake before the turbo, and after the MAF sensor.

The Bosch Bypass valve is also good for the same purpose.

I would not recomend venting it to the atmosphere unless you are running a standalone and no longer using the MAF.

Zeus

the hks one wont actually casue stalling but it will cause the overrich condition.. so its not needed to vent back into the intake but def. recomended... the rich situation after shifting is horrible!

Griffin

Zeus":1ej3lgiz said:
the hks one wont actually casue stalling but it will cause the overrich condition.. so its not needed to vent back into the intake but def. recomended... the rich situation after shifting is horrible!

Funny - never cause a problem on my car :wink:

BTW - the HKS sounds VERY cool if you take the silver case and that stupid noisemaker airfoil off it.

wish i'd gone with an hks. everyone told me to, and i was retarded. i have an apexi twin chamber. besides being kinda boring, the metal peice that allows for changing the sound likes to slide around all the time causing it to pretty much close up the vent hole. you'd think a brand like apexi would have done a better job about something like that.

i've thought about switching. but this is the second flange to be welded onto my intercooler, and i dunno if removing it for a new flange for an hks would be such a good idea.

oh well.

OlyST185

i would say that the HKS SSQV, greddy type-S and Apexi twin chamber.
these are proven to have the best reactions.
Avoir the Blitz

tarmac165

Hey guys, anyone know how the OEM MR2T BPV works? What makes it so special? All the MR2 guys I've spoken with seem to think it is the best think since canned beer.

Some people claim that the MR2T BPV is springless and remains open during cruise to allow air to bypass the compressor and supposedly aid in increasing throttle response while off boost. I personally think this is bogus, but I could be wrong.. What do you guys think/know?

I noticed it has two hose connections on it, and they both hook up to the same line that leads to the manifold, except the middle connection one has some kind of inline valve hooked up to it before it reaches the 'T'. Acording to the EPC, Toyota calls this little peice a 'Vacuum Transmitting Valve'. Sounds to me like a one-way valve intented to only allow vacuum through.

Here's a pic: http://www.seattlefenix.net/mr2/pictures/tuneup/engine_before_tuneup.jpg

alltrac.net

The 2nd port is a vent. When the valve rises up, the displaced air needs to go some where. It goes out from that hole and into the vacuum that is in the line attached to the top. This is why it is T-ed into the main line. This similar to the Greddy Type S valve. Really, that port could be open, but being a factory valve it probably had to be sealed to prevent dust from getting in etc.

There is a one way valve so that it only lets air out but not in. This same valve is on the Supra Twin Turbo 1JZ engine that I commonly deal with and instead of that VTV it has a mini filter.

The main attraction of these valves is that the boost goes to the back of the valve so that it can't be pushed up. They operate very fast, and work well.

The 2 main problems with them is that they open so easily that they can't be used as VTA. Also, the diamter of the valve is very small and not ideal for higher HP / higher boost setups.

alltracman78

Hey Robert, I like your avatar :D

I personally like the Fensport bov that I got. It sounds really good. No horn to make it sound different. Kinda expensive, and a long wait though..

* I was going to attach a pic of it, but I can't seem to find how to add stuff. I guess I'll have to go look. :cry: *

pepper

tarmac165":zpyjb8kt said:
Hey guys, anyone know how the OEM MR2T BPV works? What makes it so special? All the MR2 guys I've spoken with seem to think it is the best think since canned beer.

Yeah, what Robert said :D I bought one of these a little bit ago and a Samco T-Hose for it. Now I just need to figure out how to support it (it's a fairly heavy bugger and there's not enough "grabbing" room on the side from the turbo to trust with the weight) and how to plumb it back into the intake - probably going to do some sort of Y connection with the PCV intake from my catch can. I'll be doing a writeup of all of it when I get it done, hopefully in the next month!

-Mike

alltrac.net

The avatar represents me working on the forum!!

The MR2 valve is great, but for me it's a bit too large and bulky to be installed properly, unless you stick it direct to IC like the ST205.

The next best/cheapest option is the BOSCH/Porsche bypass valve. I put one in and it's working nicely. It slips into the T pipe like it was made for it. If I had a stock type alltrac to put it in, I'd go for that for the clean install.

A 1G DSM bypass valve would also work with a T pipe if you could find a proper tube flange for it.

Spinkman

Yah I just ordered mine off ebay... it should be on it's way over across teh 49th parallel.... I guess I need to aquire a t-pipe of some sorts. how much is the samco t? (in canadian funds preferably any local dealers?)

PEPPER!!!!! Let me know how the install went!! I'll be doing a catch can at the same time soince I cleaned all the sludge out of my hoses when the car was down... there was a lot of gunk in there.
this is a mod for you too rick. ;)

Rick89GTS

Spinkman":2d7jxrtz said:
Yah I just ordered mine off ebay... it should be on it's way over across teh 49th parallel.... I guess I need to aquire a t-pipe of some sorts. how much is the samco t? (in canadian funds preferably any local dealers?)

PEPPER!!!!! Let me know how the install went!! I'll be doing a catch can at the same time soince I cleaned all the sludge out of my hoses when the car was down... there was a lot of gunk in there.
this is a mod for you too rick. ;)

Jon,

Which mod are you referring to? BOV, CC or hose cleaning?
Which BOV did you win, MR2?

Spinkman

huh???
umm

I'm refering to the BPV
I am doing a CC and I know you already have one
I cleaned my hoses out since I have no money now to replace them all with some nice new ones
and.... yah I won a stock mr2 one. should be fun!!!

next I'm working on my extaust pipes....gunna custom make it... should be an interesting venture. if I make one want me to make a second one at the same time? I'll write down my measurements and all that for sure.