Advantages on supra turbo ct26 over alltrac ct26?

smog7

im not looking for incredible horsepower i just something with a little more power... so yeah im going to rebuild.....

alltracman78

Man, 3 pages of almost nothing on the CT26.....

allblackalltrac":vq0wawde said:
But enough about those turbo's this thread is about CT26's
CT26A from the 7MGTE motor found in the Supra MA70.
The "A" denotes the CT26 from the Supra, its cast directly into the turbine housing.
It is a single entry turbo and capable of 300hp and unlike the ct26 found on the MR2 and AllTrac, boost will not start to fall off at high RPMs and is capable of producing more efficent boost beyond 16psi.
It is also a direct bolt on for the 1G3SGTE, with only the need the clock the center cartrige and impeller housing - the exducer housing bolts to the single entry manifold and turbo elbow of the 1G3SGTE.
Low milage CT26A can be purchased for as little as $100 and rebuilds for $400.
Several turbo rebuilders also offer upgrades of the CT26A the most notiable upgrade being the T4 60-1 capable of 500+hp
This upgrade actually replaces the center cartrige with a Garret unit and if you are resourceful enough can find one for as little as $700 all the while retaining that "factory" appearance.

This is the most accurate, though it's not 100% correct.

I'm going to ignore the ST165 and it's CT26.

IMO, the CT20b is WAY overpriced.
I wouldn't pay $500 for it.
Probably not even $400.
But whatever.

The 2 inaccuracies above are
1-You clock JUST the compressor housing, NOT the CHRA [Center Housing Rotational Assembly] when you install on a 3SGTE.
It happens to be a bit easier than clocking the CHRA.

2-Those 500hp "upgrades" are bullshit.
Even on a 7MGTE you will not hit 500 hp with one, never mind on a 3SGTE. Not even close. Don't bother with ANY of the Supra CT26 "upgrades".

Here are the facts. I have torn apart a CT26 or 10, so this is from personal, hands on experience. I currently am running a Supra CT26 on my 92.
Personally, I am happier with the Supra one than a 50T I had a while back. It is a DEFINITE improvement at higher boost over the 3SGTE CT26. However, I also have a remapped ECU that can take advantage of the higher boost. And a better IC. I'm running 16 PSI at the moment.

The CHRA from either CT26 is identical. Except for the compressor wheel.

The Supra compressor wheel is VERY close to the 46T upgrade found on the CT27 and upgraded CT26s. It is SMALLER than a 50T wheel on a 3SGTE CT26.

All that is needed to bolt a Supra CT26 to a 3SGTE is to swap the exhaust housings. You unbolt the clamp in the center of the turbo, and knock off the exhaust housing. It will NOT want to come off most likely.
Use a block of wood, a vice, and a large hammer for persuasion.
And alot of PB Blaster.
Install your 3SGTE exhaust housing, then clock the compressor housing to fit.
You will have to slightly bend the wg actuator rod to make it work on the clocked housing.

OR, you can get a Supra compressor housing and wheel and mount them on your 3SGTE CT26. You will still have to clock the compressor housing and bend the rod.

I happen to have a Supra compressor housing for sale at the moment. [I did NOT answer this just to try to sell you this. However, since the opportunity is here, I'm going to put it out there. :)]
It is in the FS section.
If you are interested, you can buy it and source a Supra compressor wheel. Normally they are pretty easy to find on ebay for ~ $25. However, I just did a quick search for you, and I didn't see any. :shrug:

Regardless, good luck with what you do use, and I hope this taught you something.

alltracman78

Oh, and as far as a rebuild, I have had several done.
From MY experience [not necessarily the full story]
Stay away from Performance Techniques in CA.

My best quality rebuild came from ATS racing.
However, they did leave me waiting for 2 friggin months, and I had a HELL of a time getting ahold of anyone and resolving it. And, FYI, they don't do the rebuilds in house, they are sent out. I don't know to where.
But, in the end I did receive a turbo with ZERO shaft play that I was happy with until my damn clutch went. :lol:

allblackalltrac

Thanks for some clarification, I myself was wondering if those "upgrades" actually produce what they say they can as I never had any experience with one. However it begs the question as to how TTE has managed to break the fabled HP output of a CT26.

My CT26A is a complete turbo - exhaust housing included, from the Supra. I have a 1G3SGTE so no need to swap housings. I had it rebuild to "0" stage by Majestic Turbo in Texas. When installing it to the car I clocked the CHRA 1-2 degrees cause the oil feed/return line flange did not mate up 100% flush, so instead of bending the lines I clocked the CHRA. The impeller housing obviously had to be clocked and I did have to modify the wastegate bracket.

I as well have noticed this turbo to perform alot better than my old twin entry CT26 w/ 46 trim T04E wheel and 10* clip on the exhaust side. I did not get an oportunity to compair the exhaust housing between the two but the compairison between the Alltrac single entry and Supra single entry CT26 was significant - the Supra CT26A exhaust housing is larger than the Alltrac CT26 exducer housing.

A quick search on ebay revealed these impeller wheels:
LINK 1
LINK 2

I'll plug the fact that I as well have two CT26 impeller housings but they are from the Alltrac CT and they are not advertised as being for sale, however anything is for sale given the right offer is made :wink:

alltracman78

allblackalltrac":1oqmkzae said:
THowever it begs the question as to how TTE has managed to break the fabled HP output of a CT26.

WTA IC and tuning.
And some other stuff.

Remember, they had [almost] unlimited funds, and the knowledge of the folks that actually designed these turbos.

And a restrictor.

If I remember correctly [I'm a bit timposy], they were running roughly 300 hp and 6oo ft/lbs torque......