4x4 distribution,

MLracing

Hi I think that the 4x distribution in my GT4 -88 is teribble, It almost feel like an frontwheel drive. Do you guys share my opinion and is it possible to change the distribution by changing the rear diff or something???

thanks for a wonderful forum

/Martin, Sweden

CMS-GT4

Its more weight dist. and suspesnion setup then power split. Too expensive to get the power split changed unless it is a race car.

Rear sway bar and rear lsd would help out the underrsteer a bit. Also concider better struts and stiffer springs to start.

CMS-GT4

I tested the spacers on a car that was already modded and had a tuned suspension. May react differently w/o any other mods. I think a rear sway bar and rear lsd are the best things that could be done for any alltrac.

alltracman78

Something else that makes a good bit of difference it the bushings for the rear trailing arms [The arm that is paralell to the body]. I had to replace mine 'cause the bolts froze up, and getting them out destroyed the stock ones.

CMS-GT4

As for having or not having rear lsd you will have to look into that. The only stock one made was torsen, and you have to open the housing to see. If you have to buy, you can find cusco and trd for around 700usd.

ChrisD

Power distribution is a 50/50 split. The understeer you feel is largely dependent on the suspension setup. A better suspension system will improve things drastically. The ST185 is known to understeer much more than the ST165. ST165 is probably more prone to oversteer. Worn suspension changes things a lot though.

Winter driving REALLY lets you know the rear is working just fine. Rear tires break loose first every single time. There's simply less weight back there. You can do donuts all day long if you like.

Upgrade the suspension.

d1alltrac

chris_dittrick":ijeeo7np said:
You can do donuts all day long if you like.

yes AWD donuts are a thing of beauty...ive heard that the understeer is a result of the weight distribution like everyone is saying, something about the engine being placed in front the front axle or close to it.

stevieg

hehe speaking of winter driving my st165 will crab-walk down the road while on boost, torque split is fine with me :)

steve

ChrisD

d1alltrac":2ew1dh6g said:
yes AWD donuts are a thing of beauty...

Aren't they?

248-8602-1871.jpg

643-7196-1831.jpg

T-spoon

Holy crap, understeer?? LOL, well, I suppose just barely. Honestly though, I regularly drove a FWD Celica, 90 Alltrac and an MR2, the alltrac doesn't handle anything like the other two. It doesn't nose into corners the same way the MR2 does, but I never had to fight the wheel to make it turn like you do with a FWD car. My experience with the alltrac was always that it would do whatever I wanted it to do while in the corner, rock solid. I imagine suspension condition and wheel and tire could make a significant difference as has been said.