2JZGTE pistons in 3SGTE

unknown

The 2z piston is coated (skirt) from the factory. It also has a diff. compression height. They also are not available OS so you have to hope that you block will have proper or smaller piston to wall clearance otherwise you are wasting good $$ that you could easily buy a set of aftermarket 3s pistons for. If the piston to wall clearance is smaller then you can hone it to spec that is ideal. I think the compression height on the 2z is shorter so your piston will sit down in the bore some. You can correct this by decking the block so end up with a zero deck height once again. Overall unless you can get 2jz pistons for less than the dealer price of $43 each then you will be better off with aftermarket 3sgte pistons. I ordered and measured a 2jz piston from toyota been some time now so I have thoroughly checked it out.

HTH

Terboman

unknown":1h6bty5s said:
The 2z piston is coated (skirt) from the factory. It also has a diff. compression height. They also are not available OS so you have to hope that you block will have proper or smaller piston to wall clearance otherwise you are wasting good $$ that you could easily buy a set of aftermarket 3s pistons for. If the piston to wall clearance is smaller then you can hone it to spec that is ideal. I think the compression height on the 2z is shorter so your piston will sit down in the bore some. You can correct this by decking the block so end up with a zero deck height once again. Overall unless you can get 2jz pistons for less than the dealer price of $43 each then you will be better off with aftermarket 3sgte pistons. I ordered and measured a 2jz piston from toyota been some time now so I have thoroughly checked it out.

HTH

I think this issue was dealt with by someone from the MR2 Boards a while back. I think it was NoShoes? In the end, it was not worth it modify stuff to run Supra TT pistons in a 3sgte. I think that was the "old" MR2 Boards, some time ago. They posted pictures and all kinds of crap.

unknown

Terboman--> i was a contributor in that thread as well. I obtained a piston and measured it my findings were in my post above.

That avatar should be illegal LOL...

Terboman

unknown":1d19ujz0 said:
Terboman--> i was a contributor in that thread as well. I obtained a piston and measured it my findings were in my post above.

That avatar should be illegal LOL...

Aha. Yes, I actually should have said there were a couple of guys who contributed to that thread. It wasn't just one guy. Sorry 'bout that, I'm getting old. :doh: I do remember there were comparison pictures and the final word on using this pistons was thumbs down. Jeez, that was sooo long ago.