Car up on front jacks, rad level goes down 3"?

CodingParadox

So, in my neverending quest for figuring out my overheating issue, I present the following data. My coolant was completely topped off with the car level in the garage (the garage is pretty dang level itself.) Then, when I tossed my car up on front jacks only (so it's tilted back,) I opened the rad out of curiosity, and realized that the water level was down at least 3". The water was no longer even visible in the rad. Took at least another quart of water to fill it up.

So is this further proof that my radiator is aftermarket and crappy, etc? Or do all alltracs do this. I was under the impression that the top of the rad endtank was supposed to be level with the highest point in the engine, to prevent any air bubbles after circulation. So, in theory, tilting the car back shouldn't have really done anything to the water system, as my understanding goes.

Griffin

Its also proof that out cars are difficult to bleed out - elevating the front ensures that the radiator becomes the highest point on the cooling system, which promotes proper bleeding of the system.

In reality, the shape of cars oftwn forces the radiator tanks to be BARELY flush with the uppermost portion of the cooling system, so a bit of a tilt helps most cars bleed faster.