ASI Radiators: Pics P.16; Info P.17 & 18

88st165

i dont mind paying extra for the anodizing for better performance... i mean that is why we are getting these radiators, for better performance, right?...

on the other hand, why hasnt any other performance radiator company anodize their radiators?... just curious...

as far as looks go, i dont mind if its shiny or black... most of the things in my engine bay are black anyway... im hoping to receive mine atleast by early to mid summer b/c i dont trust the stock rad for track days, its a piece of mind thing for me.

Dracov

No company sells their radiators pre-anodised for the simple fact that they already make a killing selling them all bright and shiny. To anodise them would drive the cost up further, injuring their sales potential, plus the added stigma that, inexplicably, a black radiator/intercooler/heat exchanger/etc is somehow less aesthetically pleasing than one with a mirror finish.

I'd say don't sit around and hope that this batch can get anodised in China...we'd all be better off finding another route to get that part done. That's what I'll be doing anyway.

86turboswap

I never said you were incorrect. Your statements were true. Allthough I think you are over exaggerating the effect of annodizing the radiator. My stock radiator cools just fine. I have slim SPAL Fans on it so that may be helping, I have never overheated & I drive in 115+ heat, I have taken the car out to the drags many times in the heat. I believe the turbo and manifold should be ceramic coated or jet-hot, or even a turbo blanket. Also a vent in the hood would deffinatly do more good than annodizing the radiator. If you would like yours annodized that's great, I do not want mine annodized, My turbo header, turbo housing, dump pipe, downpipe are all Jet Hot coated cost me $325 to coat all of them. Put a ST185 RC vent in the hood & I have very little engine bay heat. I can hold my hand over the header after a hard 1 mile run on the highway, and it's only warm. Now before all this it would have been a oven. I ordered the oversized 52mm core because I wanted the increased surface area, this should makeup for the benefits of annodizing the stock size radiator. 90% of the engine bay heat is from the turbo & exhaust the other 10% is actual engine heat. BTW this has gotten way off topic & I am not going to reply to this issue enless there is a separate thread for it. We need to get our focus on actually getting the radiators & having them fit correctly.

vpunk

+1
Lets get these radiators fitted! I'm in for one as soon as they are made and verified to fit on st165.

Rick89GTS

**BETSY**":1oxgccyb said:
Any news on the radiators and modifications to the top tank mounting points?
No news yet. Status quo: Last update was they were all sent back to the factory for modification. I've sent a 3 follow-up emails but haven't heard back yet. Will try again and let you all know when I find out.

Rick89GTS

Just a quick update to keep y'all informed.
There are some major problems with the fit.
We're working things out but it will take more time to get it right.
I will update again once things are sorted out.

88st165

im glad they are not just sending these out and taking our money. like i said before ill wait as long as it takes to get perfect fitment. thanks for the update 8)

quonzilla

hey guys.. any suggestions on a performance rad fan?? i dunno which kind i should get..

yea ill wait for the rad to be perfect too..

Greybeard

I installed a 12" Permacool aftermarket electric fan. I removed most of the plastic fan guard material by tin snipping all but the radial plastic runners and smoothed out the snipped nubs. With most of the fan guard missing, quite a bit more air is moved, probably tripling the airflow or better.
I have no idea why they add these restrictive fan guards on these aftermarket electric fans units...They really kill the airflow. The OEM Toyota electric fan had no guard. If you are idiotic enough to stick your fingers in, you get what you deserve. I'd much rather have have a triple airflow and watch where I stick my fingers.

Don

Greybeard

I looked at the calender...It's May 1st.

We need to know something concrete or find another firm to do these radiators. It's as simple as that. If this Chinese firm is having so much trouble that it can't be resolved in a reasonable amount of time, then we need to move on.
Look at the calender, folks...They have had more than enough time.
I want no more stalling. I'd like to state for the record that I would very much like to have one of these ASI radiators, and I hope that they can solve their problems with it soon. After all, how much trouble is it to TIG on the half moon fittings for radiator top hold downs brackets? For a couple of dozen radiators, it may take an afternoon or less. They are getting a princely sum in Chinese money for these ST 165 custom radiators; I'm sure they make radiators for the domestic Chinese market for a few dollars US each. They need to complete this order or watch it evaporate. In fact, I will go on to say that they have had more than enough to to complete a another batch of new radiators from scratch, since the original batch of radiators were sent back for modifications. This is not supposed to be a Ma and Pa operation.

In other words, I need a solid status report, a functioning radiator or I have to move on. Robert, my friend, you need to get on the horn and be firm about the status. If they are having justifiable delays, due to supply or personnel problems, then I have to be advised. I can wait a bit longer if I know the schedule. I will not be left in the dark...After all, this is MY money that I will be spending. I need results or an explanation that will justify my patience.
This neglect may be due to cultural differences...If so, then this Chinese firm needs to know that it is competing on a world stage and therefore meet the challenge.
In final, I'm not trying to be a petty royal pain in the butt, but I have had my money waiting for a long while. If the radiators are on the way, or getting ready to ship, please accept my sincere apologies. If not, I need something concrete in the way of an explanation or a proposed solid schedule for shipment. Otherwise I'll have to send my old radiator out for a California custom built radiator that will probably cost me more, but at least, my car will be running again.

Donald A Plisco
Tulsa, Oklahoma

Rick89GTS

Donald,

Robert has nothing to do with this venture, I do. I've read your post but I'm not going to respond to all of your complaints, because, quite frankly, I don't have the energy for it right now. Suffice to say, these things do take time, and unlike Jeff and myself, you've committed no time or money, so you are free to do as you wish. This started out as a project to see if we could get something nice done for the 165 community. No one is under any obligation here.

Here's what I sent to our contact at ASI:

Kevin,

Well, not great news....
To be blunt, it does not fit properly at all. They messed up a lot of the measurements and it is misaligned. Overall, I'm very disappointed. I don't understand why the radiator fits so poorly when our OEM sample is right there to measure from. In present form, this radiator is unacceptable. I have attached pics so you can see what I mean.

Here are the major problems:

1) top radiator hose and turbo coolant line outlet fittings are both incorrectly positioned. They should be roughly 2" closer to the driver's side; the top rad hose and turbo coolant hoses do not line up properly,

68.jpg

83-1.jpg

2) mounting brackets on top tank: the driver side one lined up with the mounting hole but too high up. The passenger side one is incorrectly positioned about 1" further out to the passenger side; resulting in the hold down clamp being misaligned and see #3 below for related clamp problems;
80.jpg

87-1.jpg

3) the radiator height is too high and therefore, both of the hold down clamps that attach to the top tank cannot be bolted down b/c they do not even touch the frame of the car; the height is incorrect and must be reduced by about 2"
82.jpg

4) 1 mounting point for a metal bracket is misaligned (no pic)

5)1 of the 3 mounting holes for the stock fan is misaligned; only two will bolt up. The mounting posts are also too high, so the fan will sit about 1/2 inch away from the radiator; they need to be cut down.
77.jpg

6) the radiator sits crooked because the bottom is flat, without the 'step' in the bottom, like the OEM sample has. See the PWR Radiator photo for a clear example of this.
PWRstepmount.jpg

165MountingPegs.jpg

I cannot recommend the ASI Radiator to our members. As I stated before, the measurements are critical to ensure proper a fit. Both the top and bottom tanks need to be redone, or the entire radiator rebuilt, with the proper measurements. Let me know how you'd like to proceed.

Thanks, Rick

Greybeard

Thanks for the reply...It was very illuminating.

Sorry about the mix up of names, ie: Robert for Rick; It was an innocent mistake.