ASI Radiators: Pics P.16; Info P.17 & 18

Greybeard

I wonder who else does custom built aluminum radiators? I still have my old radiator to send as a guide for building a new one. I'd like a much thicker core than the slender OEM stile. I guess I'll have to surf the web and send inquiries out.
Maybe we can get a better deal if we order several at once from an proven American builder. It's worth looking in to.

Don

Rick89GTS

The ASI rad pictured above is 42mm; 10mm thicker than the stock OEM 32mm. Clearance is tight for the fan. American builders will cost you $500+
If you pursue something, I wish you all the best.

I'm frustrated and extremely disappointed with the poor results after having spent a lot of time, energy and money. ARRRGHH!!! However, I'm going to see it through to the end; I'm putting my faith in Kevin and still believe they can be easily fixed.

Fourplay

Rick, these are just some of the 'joys' of dealing with Chinese manufacturers. Hopefully they remain co-operative and amicable after this, even though it's their fault. When something goes wrong, I've seen them miraculously 'forget' how to communicate in English amongst other things :wink: Their prices are tempting but price is only one aspect, as it can be very frustrating dealing with them.

86turboswap

I have confidence in Kevin. He is online like 24/7 and everytime I send him a message he gets back to me lightning quick & takes care of things. Just a matter of timeline mainly.

Rick89GTS

^Kevin has been great to work with thus far. He wasn't the one who took the measurements but he's the manager that does the trouble shooting. In the end, it's just a matter of getting the factory to accurately measure the radiator. I'm confident we can get this all worked out.

Greybeard

OK....with all due respect, it is May 16th...What is the status of the ASI radiators for the ST-165s?
It's has been a couple of weeks since the last post and within reason, there should be some new updates.

Don

Celi-GT4

Wow, I sorry to hear all the problems with the 165 rads. My 185 ASI Rad fit well no probs. I will try to get a pic soon. I realize that does not help you but Kevin is a good guy.
Todd
PS if ASI was affected by the terrible earthquake, I wish them well.

Rick89GTS

Since the last update, I haven't heard anything. I sent an email to them the other day and am waiting on a reply. Odd that they were able to do the 185 rad without issues; we're all hoping to get the 165 one worked out. Will post up as soon as I hear back.

Greybeard

By the way, aftermarket electric fans for the radiator are a much better choice over the OEM fan. You can easily mount a 12" fan, if you are willing to forego the original mount house and use an aftermarket adapter. This being done (I used thru the fins rubber adapter mounting kits), you can double or even triple the airflow. At double the airflow, some of these aftermarkets fans will still use less current than OEM. They use more efficient DC pancake motors and blades with more efficient aerodynamic shapes. Plus, two inches extra diameter means more airflow alone, all other things being equal.

Cooler engines run better and last longer.

I bought an eight inch puller electric fan that I am going to use on the intercooler radiator. I'll just hook a switch up on the dashboard and switch it on anytime I intend to use the turbocharger. I guess one could use the intercooler pump circuit, but I like the ideal of manually turning on the intercooler pump and fan at will. That ought to drop the temp on the intake air charge significantly. You wonder why they didn't install a fan at the intercoolwer radiator in the first place? Then again, they didn't install a pop off valve either.

suprakid95

I really really really appreciate all the hard work your putting into this :D .

and as far as electric fans go SPAL would be the name brand to go after :D . i got 2 12" waiting for the rad.

darthripley

Rick89GTS":3209gms7 said:
Odd that they were able to do the 185 rad without issues.

perhaps an explanation to the 185 fitting perfectly may be that they were able to copy a Koyo aluminum rad directly in their factory.
just a guess tho :shrug:

good luck getting them to fix the design on the 165 rad! :)

86turboswap

very sorry but I may have to backout of this group buy. Due to unforseen circumstances it looks like I may be selling my car. I'll let you guys know if I do sell it.

Greybeard

Fellows, it's June 1st. There is still no word on this radiator. Have the Chinese at ASI lost face and backed out of the deal?
I hate to be redundant, but we need to know one way or the other if they are still in the game.
It seems like they have lost the ability to communicate...
At this point you need to be forceful with them and get a legitimate response, not delaying BS or silence. You need to send them a firm email asking them to make a decision to complete the order or drop it. One way or the other. The time for results is long past due.

At the point in the game, we have nothing to lose. What is so hard to understand about that? Their failure to respond to us is a slap in the face in business dealings.
If we fail to ask them to make a hard decision, then it is an automatic no; There will be no ST 165 radiators built. We are wasting valuable time that could be spent arranging with another party to complete the order. No if and buts.

I know some fellows here worked hard on this and others hold on to some silly hope that ASI will miraculously show up with the order and are prepared to ship it, if we just leave them alone. It doesn't work like that in the business world. If there are continuous delays or a mysterious failure to communicate back to us, then their answer is obvious. What needs to be done is to simply and firmly ask them a hard "YES or NO". Don't be worried about being politically correct, being afraid of hurting their feelings or offending their sensibilities. Apparently they weren't worried about hurting our feeling by ignoring us. If they won't give us a definite yes or no, then we need to clearly and succinctly close our business dealings with them and move on. It may cost us more with someone else, but at least we will actually get the radiators built. We are not getting any radiators now, nor will we, at this pace. Our cars are worthless without radiators. Just a pile of parts taking up space.
Remember, we are not asking ASI for a handout or charity...We are willing to pay hard earned cash...We deserve more respect then we are getting.

Now if asking them for a firm Yes or No, motivates ASI to finish the order...Fine. If not, thank them for their time, close your business dealings with them and move on. If they can't produce the radiators and are willing to leave us hanging on, then we have wasted alot of time and energy, plus the costs of shipping the old radiators for use as models.
Again let me make this clear...It is clearly foolish to just hang on, hoping that things might work out, and recieve no word, month after month. All of these radiators can be produce in a few days by a legitimate factory. This is not a church social meet; We are not here to hold hands with ASI and sing songs around a campfire... It is business and must be treated as business. Courteously, but firmly and professionally get an definite answer....A Yes or No...
If they fail to answer us, then it is a definite and unquestionable no, and this must be communicated to ASI, as well as the members of this list. We deserve more respect.

Don in Tulsa

Rick89GTS

I have sent at least 4 emails - no response yet.
I will send out another one or phone them direct this week.
I'll post up once I hear anything.

EDIT:
It's Monday 8am in Shanghai right now, so I sent another email to Kevin. If I don't hear back, I'll follow up with a phone call.

Greybeard

Thank you...

That is what is needed. Give it one more solid shot and get a definitive response. If they are having trouble with it, let's find out why. If we can get them to get off dead center and get productively moving again, so much the better.
If you don't get a response, send them an email terminating the relationship. If that doesn't get a response, be it negative or positive, let's move on. We aren't married to these people.
When I was searching around, I found several places on the east coast and west coast who were willing to take this project on. I haven't closed with anyone yet. With a single radiator order, they are truly going to stick it to you. With a much larger order, we should get a decent break on the price (as long as the quality is there). With a group buy, we also have more say over the quality.
Again, Rick, thank you.

Don