ASI Radiators: Pics P.16; Info P.17 & 18

Q&A regarding engines, turbos, and intercoolers and power upgrades

Postby 88st165 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:46 pm

well atleast there is hope for us as i dont think that would be a big deal to add on.

im hoping that the sample rad that they recieved still had the mounting points in position and not cracked off so they can get accurate placement.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Red st165 - Garage Queen turned wannabe track rat
White st165 - slapping back together and hoping for the best
Black st165 - gone
2011 FA5 - Family Truckster
88st165
Established Member

Postby datajon » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:52 pm

Pace engine coolant radiator has best fixing option,best quality, rather than use the toyota sado setup, probably much easier to implement on mountless alloy rads. :lol: the pace fixing setup, they are nice lightweight racing rads, not heavy.

really surprised it got this far without being spotted..lets jist hope the quality make's up for it;. ah lads
datajon

Black anodized radiator finish and thermodynamics

Postby Greybeard » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:45 pm

Those aluminum radiators need to have a black anadized finish applied to them. This is not an option, but an industry standard.
For those who have a limited undestanding of thermodynamics, different colors and/or finishes strongly effect the amount of heat radiated from a heated object. White colors reflect heat the most and radiate heat the least . Flat black finishes absorb heat the most, as well as radiate heat the most. Chrome, shiney aluminum and other metellic finishes are even much worse than white at radiating heat. They are "verboten" in radiators.

Pot belly coal stoves or efficient wood stoves always have a flat black finish to radiate heat. If they were chrome plated, most of the heat would escape up the stove pipe, and not into the room. This is also a very good reason to never install chrome plated items like valve covers and oil pans. They retain heat and kill your engine. They may look fancy, but are sucker items for the perpetually naive.
This is why I always paint my engine blocks and heads black.
when I gutted my cat, I added insulation to the outside of the cat and the turbo charger's exhaust side. I want that heat out of my engine compartment. I then removed my hood, disposed of the hood's inner insulation (I didn't need it now), and had my hood painted flat black on both sides (my 1988 ST 165 is white). Not only did this make the car look meaner and sharper, but it removed the hood's glare and radiated additional heat from the engine compartment. My underhood temps are neglible, now.

Whether these radiators are black anodized in China, or in your local metal plating shop, it must be done. If they can fabricate these from scratch, you know they can anodize them. Let's get it done right.

Don in Tulsa

ie: Greybeard
Greybeard
Club Member

Postby **BETSY** » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:07 am

Having seen these radiators on Ebay im looking to buy on also!

keen to learn of any changes to make the stock mounting points useable :)

Good work guys ;)
Steve Gillies
ST-165 88 UK ([color=red]BETSY[/color])
[url=http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d30/steve-gillies/Betsy/RollingRoad005.jpg]377BHP 353Ib/Ft[/url]
UK
**BETSY**
Club Member

165 core

Postby randy5391 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:13 am

Hey guys, I have my 165 core that I am willing to give for a mock up, the upper hose fitting is broken, but they should be able to use it. The repair shop couldn't fix it. I already have it boxed. Let me know if you can still use it.
randy5391

Postby Rick89GTS » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:15 am

Ok guys, I have to apologize. I thought we had an understanding that this was a group buy for our members. I didn't know that ASI would put them up for sale on Ebay. I don't know what happened but I believe this was just a miscommunication.

In any event, I have phoned Shanghai and sent ASI an email regarding the oversight with the mounting points and group buy. The initial run was 20 pieces but if there are not enough, now they have the design so they can produce another run, probably better, with the corrected mounting points.

Hang in there with me guys, we're close now. We started this group buy back in November and I'm sure we can get this all straightened out so everyone can have an aluminum 165 radiator :)
I'll keep everyone updated here as it gets worked out.

This is the email I sent to Kevin (ASI):

Kevin,

I thought we had an understanding for a group buy for our members but I saw your ASI ST165/GT-4 Aluminum Radiators on Ebay already.
I had compiled a list of some 13 members who were waiting to purchase your radiator, I understood that we would be first in line.
Did we misunderstand each other? If there are not enough radiators, I'm assuming a second order possible? Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Thanks, Rick

Our list of potential buyers so far:

1) Rick aka Rick89GTS
2) Jeff aka monkey8oi
3) Jeremy aka 86turboswap (52mm core)
4) Robert Pina aka 935 Motorsports
5) Don aka Greybeard
6) Steve aka Stevo27
7) Eugene aka 88st165
8) Cool Sney aka suprakid95
9) Dave aka ST165-2765
10) Pajerost.......shipping to Norway may cost quite a bit more though.
11) Marty aka quonzilla
12) _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ aka luchy509
13) Steve aka **Betsy** (UK)
Last edited by Rick89GTS on Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
Rick89GTS
GTFour God

Postby **BETSY** » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:19 am

Hey Rick, Sounds good!

Would very much prefer to have a radiator with the correct mounting points for stock brackets etc..

If purchased off Ebay the rad is GBP£190 delivered.
Is this a similar price if purchased through a group buy on here?

TIA
Steve Gillies
[url=http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d30/steve-gillies/Betsy/RollingRoad005.jpg]377BHP 353Ib/Ft[/url]
UK
**BETSY**
Club Member

Postby Rick89GTS » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:34 am

Steve,

The price they quoted us was US$300 and US$325 shipped to USA and Canada, respectively. He didn't quote me for a UK shipped price but it looks a bit cheaper for us here across the pond. I posted at www.gt4dc.co.uk but surprisingly, got nil interest :shrug:

Rick
Last edited by Rick89GTS on Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick89GTS
GTFour God

Postby **BETSY** » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:42 am

Hi Rick, AFAIK there is only 1 maybe 2 st165 club members on the DC?

Due to the ravages of time, weather and the Body kit the st165 is a rare beasty here now days, rot being the biggest killer!

There isn't much call for specific st165 parts here now.

Im very interested in getting a radiator and i think as the years pass the USA will be my source of parts.
Steve Gillies
UK
**BETSY**
Club Member

Postby Rick89GTS » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:34 am

UPDATE:
The ST165 radiators have gone back to the factory for the requested modifications. They have plenty, "we have 20 more" and will let us know once the corrections are completed. Stay tuned :smokes:
Rick89GTS
GTFour God

Will they anodize the radiators?

Postby Greybeard » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:00 am

This is a great opportunity to make sure they properly black anodize the aluminum on these radiators. I cannot stress how much better they will perform as radiators with this simple treatement. After all, what is the purpose of a radiator? To conduct, convect and radiate heat....

Don
Greybeard
Club Member

Postby Rick89GTS » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:48 am

Re: black anodized finish.

I put forth your question but right now I'm more concerned with getting the mounting points and the fitment corrected. I don't see them offering any black anodized radiators, so I would not be optimistic. It's most likely going to be the natural shiny finish.
Rick89GTS
GTFour God

Postby monkey8oi » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:33 am

is the process of getting the radiators properly black anodized something that has to be done at the factory or is it something that we can do on our own? If it is something simple that i can do, i dont mind doing it myself.
monkey8oi
Club Member

1988 Toyota Celica

anodizing

Postby Greybeard » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:14 am

It can be done in a small shop, however it is not a simple process and involves a bit of suspending equiptment, current generating machines and several chemical/electrical baths.

Plating metal requires the use of high currents, various caustic and acid baths, plus the metals and/or powders for the anodes and cathodes. it is not beyond the reach of the average person, but is a somewhat dangerous operation that must be carefully attended to.

Please google "aluminum anodizing" (or anodizing metals)and find out for yourself if this is something you want to invest in.
The alternative is to pay a local plating shop to do it for you. I haven't made any local calls, but I'm sure it isn't cheap to have a single radiator black anodized properly.
A factory can set this up and do a large run of radiators inexpensively per unit.
Regardless, it is a very necessary step.

Don
Greybeard
Club Member

Postby **BETSY** » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:18 pm

Don, Does simply spraying the rad Black with VHT go any way to helping out?
Steve Gillies
UK
**BETSY**
Club Member

PreviousNext

Return to Performance and Power