heat coat the turbo

Q&A regarding engines, turbos, and intercoolers and power upgrades

heat coat the turbo

Postby MARLON1211 » Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:24 pm

can this be done. i dont know if Finishline coating can do turbos.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
SO BE IT
MARLON1211
Established Member

Re: heat coat the turbo

Postby turbo4wd » Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:15 pm

MARLON1211 wrote:can this be done. i dont know if Finishline coating can do turbos.

The exhaust housing can be coated, yes..

Check this page for some answers to your questions..

http://www.hpcoatings.com/hipercoat_extreme.htm
Dan
Undercover Moderator
turbo4wd
Established Member

Postby billprice » Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:42 pm

BOTH housings can be coated.

'07 GS350 AWD
'09 Toro Z5030 ZTR 23hp of lawnmowing fun
billprice
Club Member

Postby RIalltrac » Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:47 pm

I understand the concept behind coating the exhaust portion of the turbo, but would coating the intake housing be beneficial? I see these coatings as means to trap heat inside thier respective system and in the case of exhaust it makes sense because it would eventually push the "heat" being trapped out your muffler tip, but with the intake side woud you want to trap heat? I understand it would also stop heat from soaking in as well, but is more heat generated in the compression process than what is present in the engine bay to be soaked into the intake portion?
Chris - 90 ST185
RIalltrac
GTFour God

Postby turbo4wd » Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:57 pm

billprice wrote:BOTH housings can be coated.

true, but i was assuming he was asking what could be coated that would give any real benefit.. from what HPC has told me, coating the compressor housing is purely for cosmetic reasons..
Dan
Undercover Moderator
turbo4wd
Established Member

Postby BoostedBlueToyotas » Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:40 pm

Finishline wont take the turbo apart for you, I asked.
I ended up having mine coated by Performance Techniques when
I had my turbos rebuilt
Tim Plessing
Columbia, MD

1990 ST185 - blue/blue cloth 152K-SOLD
1993 MR2 turbo - blue/black leather 59K TOTALLED/PARTING OUT
2006 Acura TSX - black/black 6 spd
2006 Mini Cooper S JCW Space blue/Silver roof 39k
2006 Mini Cooper JCW Silver/black roof 34k
BoostedBlueToyotas
Established Member

Postby billprice » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:15 am

My "old" GT25-400R had both sides coated. It is now sold. The intake was just done for cosmetic purposes. My new turbo was coated only on the outlet side. Both were done by Jet-Hot.

'07 GS350 AWD
'09 Toro Z5030 ZTR 23hp of lawnmowing fun
billprice
Club Member

Postby Wraith » Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:53 pm

I have the chanceto talk to a very knowledgable engineer here at my work.. His name is Mike Kimbrell and he is the number 1 engineer for metalergy for BP America/UK ...

But anyway we talk about ceramic coats and why 300 series stainless crack and why the ceramic coats would affect the metal... Well, basically he answered like this ... Certain ceramic coats has a chloride ( spell check pls) base ... Chlorides affect 300series or any type of metal where it actually lowers the heat rating of a certain metal. Lets say 321 stainless with its 1800+ heat rating would be drop to almost below a 1000 because of the chloride base...

We at the refinery are having major issues with Chlorides in our oil steams because its a by product of some of the crude we're running... Basically, chlorides becomes very acidric ( spell check again pls) at certain temperature and would actually start to eat away the metal and weakens it, some times to the point of corrosion ... Hell, we have 9 chrom metal that is suppose to withstand and any type of corrosive duties; get eaten away in a quarter of its service life.

So if your going to get ceramic coating on type of metal ... Make sure that the coatings they're using doesnt have a chloride base to it. ... I hope this is helpfull information ...
Wraith
Club Member

Postby beej » Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:44 am

Wraith wrote:I have the chanceto talk to a very knowledgable engineer here at my work.. His name is Mike Kimbrell and he is the number 1 engineer for metalergy for BP America/UK ...

But anyway we talk about ceramic coats and why 300 series stainless crack and why the ceramic coats would affect the metal... Well, basically he answered like this ... Certain ceramic coats has a chloride ( spell check pls) base ... Chlorides affect 300series or any type of metal where it actually lowers the heat rating of a certain metal. Lets say 321 stainless with its 1800+ heat rating would be drop to almost below a 1000 because of the chloride base...

We at the refinery are having major issues with Chlorides in our oil steams because its a by product of some of the crude we're running... Basically, chlorides becomes very acidric ( spell check again pls) at certain temperature and would actually start to eat away the metal and weakens it, some times to the point of corrosion ... Hell, we have 9 chrom metal that is suppose to withstand and any type of corrosive duties; get eaten away in a quarter of its service life.

So if your going to get ceramic coating on type of metal ... Make sure that the coatings they're using doesnt have a chloride base to it. ... I hope this is helpfull information ...

good stuff man ill definately remember that one :shock:
"ITS A VENT GODDAMIT NOT A F#$KING SCOOP!!!!!"
beej
Club Member

Postby Wraith » Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:18 am

Good add insurance for cermaic coating is spend the money and get the Turbo heat shielding from Advanced Thermal Products, inc their website is www.ATPwrap.com and they did my firsts MR2 turbo manifold it looks awesome and lowered the under hood temperatures considerably and lowered his spool time because of heat being kept in the turbo, instead of it being lost out of radiation...
Wraith
Club Member

Return to Performance and Power