Rebuild 1G engine? Use 2G? Options, Ideas...

Q&A regarding engines, turbos, and intercoolers and power upgrades

Rebuild 1G engine? Use 2G? Options, Ideas...

Postby CodingParadox » Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:43 am

So at this point, I'm guessing I have a blown head gasket, which isn't something that's easily fixable. Hence, I have a few options that I'm trying to think ahead on. This dilemna also exists regardless of if an HG is my problem right now...

* Option 1: Switch to SW20 Engine.
In my garage is a JDM SW20 engine. The MR2T clip I pulled it from supposedly had ~53k miles on it, and there was a somewhat worn 3-puck race clutch on the engine when I pulled the tranny off. I have no idea about the internals of the engine. I do know that when I pulled off the rear cooling hose (needed to use its hose clamp,) coolant poured out. So, in any event, there's nice red toyota coolant in the engine, and it's managed to hold nicely in there for something on the order of at least a year now. Other than that, I know nothing. The crank turns fine, so it's not seized. The turbo has no shaft play, so it's fine. I have the engine, currently, prepped for a FWD swap into a GT, but with the MR2 engine harness on it. This is basically impossible to convert to work with a celica. It's possible, but just not worth the hell. This is the biggest problem. Basically, for this to work, I either have two options. First, I can just use the 1G engine harness on it, which involves a ton of cutting and soldering connectors and reusing old sensors, which seems like a really dumb idea. Second, I can buy an ST185 harness, which should drop right on and I can convert to the 1G fusebox as per Chris D's amazingly awesome instructions, for 300-400$, if I can find one. Then I can join the hordes of ST185 engine in a ST165 bay people.

Advantages:
* 2nd gen engine, with 1/3 the miles on it as the 1st gen

Disadvantages:
* 300-400$ for a harness, plus time and money rewiring and converting the engine to ST185 spec
* Absolutely no idea about the internals of the engine, so it may not be an improvement in actual functionality, even if it's much better in potential

* Option 2: Rebuild ST165 Engine.
The other option is the obvious option. I can pull off the head (*groan*) and replace the head gasket. The head gasket is like 120$ through toyota, or I can get a TRD metal one from 935 for 100$. Now, it seems like pulling the head with the engine in the car would be just an abysmal bitch, hence I should just pull the damn thing, regardless of if I'm going to switch engines or if I'm just going to fix the head gasket. I also need to get the head machined, which is probably 60$-ish. Do I also need to replace head studs? Anything else I _have_ to replace while I'm in there? With the engine out, I could also easily swap on the SW20 exhaust manifold and hence I'd have a fix for my exhaust leak as well as tossing on the ceramic turbo.

Advantages:
* Costs less than option 1
* I know the engine runs and revs fine aside from the overheating problem

Disadvantages:
* I'm still using a 1G engine, that has 152k miles on it.

* Summary/Questions
So, if it's likely that my only problem is BHG, then option 2 will be cheaper and a lot less work. 150-200$-ish, and a weekend, and I have my engine back and working nicely. However, then I still have a 1st gen engine.

So a good basic question is: If I were to go the SW20 route, are there any other hidden costs I'm looking at, or is my basic cost going to be the cost of a new wiring harness/doing rewiring and nothing else major should need changing?

After that, smaller questions: Can you change the head in the car, or is it way less work to just pull the damn thing and save myself the headache?

Any thoughts at all on my situation? WWJD? :)
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
David - Former owner of multiple Alltracs. Have moved on to yellower fields...
CodingParadox
Established Member

Postby MrWOT » Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:45 am

Use the 2nd Gen head on the 165 and replace the gaskets, use the exhaust mani and turbo if it came with it, the 2nd gen turbo has a slightly better spool time because of twin entry. It's a direct swap. In the meantime, tear down the 2nd gen block and rebuild it, by the time you finish you'll be ready to replace the old 1st gen. Then just reswap the head, and go :D
MrWOT
Club Member

Postby CodingParadox » Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:47 am

... I thought there was some issue with using the 2G head on the 1G block?... Otherwise I was gonna think about doing just that. Well, if that works, then should I use the 2G intake manifold too?

And I assume for all that, I should drop the engine.
David - Former owner of multiple Alltracs. Have moved on to yellower fields...
CodingParadox
Established Member

Return to Performance and Power