T3 60 Trim turbo?

pog0

I was just wondering if this turbo would be much better than any CT26 upgrade including the CT27 upgrade from ATS Racing.

I would think that this would be better since it has a better compressor and turbine wheel. Think this would easily flow 300 hp or should I stick with the CT26 or plan for the CT27 turbine upgrade for 450.

The T3 is pretty cheap, its a 60 trim with a .48 AR exhaust so it should have some good spool up and pull pretty good. I can probably get an adapter, a T3, and a downpipe made for like around 700-800 bucks, probably even cheaper. The turbo will have an internal wastegate but I am trying to look stock.

Any other ideas for internal wastegated turbos that aren't a total give away from a turbo upgrade?

saved_1992

Completely rebuilt using genuine new parts as required, New steel shaft - 48mm Compressor, 360 degree thrust, a choice of uprated actuator .

*Guide:- Our top of the range CT20B, The choice for serious power, Ideal up to 1.5 bar boost, on cars with larger fuel injectors and forged pistons. 1 bar boost is available from 3,200 rpm, for power outputs up to 360bhp).
turbo2.jpg

from fensport in the uk

1bar = 14.5 psi, so that is 21.75 PSI :D can you dig it :smokes:

pog0

Sounds like a good upgrade but I have not seen one dyno sheet that shows that they hit 300 wheel HP in a MR2. I have heard plenty of stories of that ONE person who happen to hit 300 HP.

Seems like most people are around the 250-260 mark with a CT20b, yet that is a stock one. I wonder how much that turbo costs... knowing Fensport it sounds like it is pricey. The CT27 upgrade is what 350-400 for the turbine modification, 850 for the turbo + core exchange if purchased.

Im not sure if I should get a turbo upgrade or go with the EMS which happens to be a LOT more than I can afford but I am pretty sure I can save up for it. Dunno.

emicen

92AllTracTurbo":1nz00qsl said:
Sounds like a good upgrade but I have not seen one dyno sheet that shows that they hit 300 wheel HP in a MR2. I have heard plenty of stories of that ONE person who happen to hit 300 HP.

Seems like most people are around the 250-260 mark with a CT20b, yet that is a stock one. I wonder how much that turbo costs... knowing Fensport it sounds like it is pricey. The CT27 upgrade is what 350-400 for the turbine modification, 850 for the turbo + core exchange if purchased.

Im not sure if I should get a turbo upgrade or go with the EMS which happens to be a LOT more than I can afford but I am pretty sure I can save up for it. Dunno.

Fensport stage 3 turbo as fitted to DavyP's ST185:
http://www.fensport.co.uk/fensportcars.htm - Bout half way down
http://www.fensport.co.uk/fensportcarsfiles/st185techtc.htm - Current Spec

Having seen it in person, I can say thats one meh-feckin quick 185

silverarrow

EMS first Kevin since you already have that upgraded ct26.

I have the t3/t04e .63 a/r with 60-1 trim and I hit full boost(it's 12+ psi right now because my fuel cut kicks in hehe, have not hooked up my boost gauge in there and just going by my AVCR) at around 42-4500 rpm and holds it to redline. And with a .48 a/r housing I'm sure you can make full boost in the 3k's.

pog0

cheapturbo.com has plenty of garrett turbos for a great price imo.

pc,

any pics of your setup dawg? let me check that shit, i remember you told me you got it but i dont think you ever told me what was up. does it pull good?

i was thinking about getting a turbo but then i dunno. doesnt seem hard to make a t3 bolt up with an internal gate.

oh well, i guess i should save up for the ems... already bought injectors and a bored rail... might as well go get the rest! hahah.

silverarrow

No pics yet bro. Been too lazy lol. I know people are eager to see it and trust me, you'll be the first one to see it since you are the first to usually know what I have and what I want to do with my ride anyway. :D

935motorsports

T3 Super 60 or T3 60 is a good upgrade for 3SGTE in my opinion.

It still has a 60MM inlet, but a smaller overall size of wheel. The result is a turbo that spools like stock but breathes heavily. The overall size of the wheel is actually smaller then the TO4E-46, but has a bigger inlet.

Dave Tsai had one, and he seemed to love it.

I have a T3/T4 with a 50 trim .48 a/r. It hits full boost which is only at 10 psi on the internal gate by about 3300 rpm. It will spool faster once I get my fmic installed because my stock top mount doesn't line up with the turbo too well right now.

I think any turbo bigger than this one would have quite a bit of lag on a stock motor. I'd like to get some cams soon to take advantage of the higher airflow.

pog0

I think the T3-60 trim would be great cause it looks stock. IIRC Dave had a CT26 upgrade with a 60-1 wheel in it.

Josh,

Have any pics of your t3/t4 50 trim with a .48 AR with that internal gate? How much did that run you. A turbo would be much cheaper than an ems but yeah... I check ebay but there are mainly T3s. Is it possible to have an internal gate on the 4 and 5 bolt flanges on the turbine? Is there an add on or something?

T-spoon

I had a 60-1 trim CT26 on a previous MR2. It hit full boost (14-14.5 psi) before 3500 RPM and made power past redline. Total cost for that upgrade/rebuild was $600, not really sure how the modification using the T3 would be much of an improvement.

Here's a few of my setup right now but I have my heat sheild on. I'm getting ready to put my FMIC on soon. IF I have enough money I'm going to get a custom exhaust manifold with an external gate.

f8014f3d.jpg

f8014f40.jpg

f8014f49.jpg

f8014f4d.jpg

f8014f50.jpg

pog0

How much did you pay for the turbo and lines?

I am really now considering a turbo upgrade and using my bored rail with my cleaned 440s and a FPR. I think this will make me happy.

I personally say just stick to the stock manifold with an adapter for an external gate... might be cheaper if you're about cost. I know you were on a budget for the turbo, how much total was spent there including MISC shit that adds up. Custom DP too or no?

I am pretty sure any turbo upgrade is better than a ct26 upgrade. Maybe I will come up on a nice turbo and make it work on a budget. I am pretty sure it can be done and give some decent power.

Kevin, the whole setup wasn't too bad for a turbo upgrade other than a CT-26. I picked up the turbo which is oil lubricated and water cooled for only $275 off of ebay. The oil and water lines, plus fittings were a little over $100 total. I also had to buy a manifold adapter that was like $60 or something. I did have to get a custom downpipe made which ran me $180 from the turbo-to-cat.

A grand total of under $700 for a decent T3/T4 setup. Since you have a FMIC it would perform a lot better too. I really want to get mine on soon to feel what this turbo really has to offer.

I will tell you though, my turbo barely fits in there. It comes almost in contact with the top of the transmission, there is virtually no room for a good downpipe until I go with an external wastegate, the turbo needs to be reclocked to work with the intercooler, among other little PITA items such as the water lines where they come off of the bypass pipe across the motor.

pog0

Wow thats a good deal on the turbo. Cheapest price I have seen on the net for a t3/t4 is 550 with an internal wg.

Do you know if there is any room to clock the turbo down? Think the stock turbo heat shield will still fit?

I will probably just try to utilize my piping right now instead of wasting more money to clock the turbo down. Might be a little easier, possibly... we will see.

pog0

Extra money to redo the piping for my intercooler... another 1-200 depending who does the welding.

I will be on the look out for a turbo after christmas... there is no way i can afford it anytime soon. oh well though.