Need help replacing stock turbo

big_c_tothe_z

Im trying to replace me stock turbo on my st185 but Im confused on a couple things. I got the top three exhaust manifold bolts off but I cant get the one on the far right, my turbo seems to be in the way. I also dont know how to loosen the belt on my alternator so I can get the rest of the bolts off. This is actually the first time ive ever worked on a car by myself and its actually going a lot better than I had thought.

RIalltrac

between the alternator & the ac compressor is a pulley that puts pressure on the belt associated with those items. connected to that pulley is a tensioner that when backed out will relieve the pressure on the belt and allow you to pull it off. You have to get all of the heat shields off the exhaust manifold to gain access to all the exhaust manifold bolts. Other than that I would just say use plenty of patience & pb blaster. Good luck

enzytebob

I was able to replace my ct26 on my st185 w/o having to remove the manifold.

Steps are:

1.Remove top mount intercooler
2. Remove turbo heat shield. Soak the 4 studs/nuts of the manifold outlet/turbo inlet w/ pb blaster
3. Loosen and detach oil and water lines attached to the engine side
4. Loosen downpipe bolts that are attached to both the turbo and to the midpipe to release tension. Remove downpipe.
5. Loosen the 4 nuts you soaked w/ oil retaining the turbo to the manifold. Turbo should drop and you should be able to slide it out and up. Just go slowly and w/ caution and you'll be ok.

I was able to do it. So can you.

big_c_tothe_z

Alright ive made some progress. I got the radiator,ic, and alternator out. I believe everything is unbolted. For some reason I cannot pull off my exhaust manifold. It definitly needs to come out now because I am positive I need to replace the gasket from all my prying. It comes out about 1/2" but thats it. I have no idea what to do. Im thinking maybe there is something connected to the turbo that doesnt allow me to move the manifold but Im having a hell of a time trying to disconnect all the hoses running from the turbo. I also dont want to remove too much as I dont want to lose track of where anything goes.

T-spoon

Connected to the turbo:

1) Water feed/return goes inline with the upper radiator hose
2) Oil feed/return connected to bottom of turbo
3) Turbo elbow on exhaust side
4) intake hose from compressor side
5) Vaccuum line from wastegate to turbo VSV

Think that's it. Try fully unbolting the turbo elbow from the turbo so you only have the turbo and the manifold to deal with instead of all of it at once, you may be hanging parts of the DP etc. on things in the engine bay.

big_c_tothe_z

Ok, so now I have everything unbolted but the oil lines on the bottom of the turbo will not come off. Im not sure what I should do. I would remove them from the other end but I dont think I can reach the one and the other doesnt budge at all.

There is also a turbo bracket that attaches to the underside of the turbo with a big bolt. You may want to check to see if you got that off. When i took the old turbo off of mine, i found out that there wasn't a nut on that stud that you are talking about (only 3 bolts holding my turbo to the manifold. To put the new one on, i attached the manifold to the turbo first and then attached the manifold to the head. Then i put the bracket back on the turbo BEFORE i lifted up and attached the DP (if you don't put the bracket back on, it is impossible to get it on, don't ask how i know). To take the turbo off, the easiest thing i did was take the DP off and pry it gently off the turbine housing, it will then drop off and the turbo/manifold will slide right out. Hope this helps