What tranni is strongest?????????

FWD-3SGTE

Hey guys - Im hoping sumone could straight out just tell me what the STRONGEST tranni for the 3sgte that will work for FWD..... everyone just beats around and tells me "just use the 5sfe tranni - it seems to work fine" or "use the 5sfe tranni and beef up the gears" psssh ya where do I find beefy gears for a 5sfe tranni and im sure its not cheap! PLEASE HELP! I need to know soon. Thanx guys!!

RIalltrac

from the things I've read the best option for you would be the mr2 tranni, not sure what has to be done to the axles to make it work. I think you may have to use components of the gt4 axles and the mr2 axles. I also believe you would have to modify your front crossmember to correctly mount the tranni. there are some people on this board with fwd swaps, look around see what you can find.

core

camry/solara 5spd v6 tranny bolts perfectly with the 3sgte
you may need to find an axle combo that would in a celica

CMS-GT4

There is a faq on celica.net dedicated to the gearbox of a fwd celica. They show how to modify a mr2 box to work in the car along with all the other details.

Terboman

FWD-3SGTE":39i1dvlq said:
Hey guys - Im hoping sumone could straight out just tell me what the STRONGEST tranni for the 3sgte that will work for FWD..... everyone just beats around and tells me "just use the 5sfe tranni - it seems to work fine" or "use the 5sfe tranni and beef up the gears" psssh ya where do I find beefy gears for a 5sfe tranni and im sure its not cheap! PLEASE HELP! I need to know soon. Thanx guys!!

Hit my friend Keoni up. He has a mean FWD celi over here in Hawaii with a Solara tranny. I'm quite sure that it's the toughest stock trans you can get in a FWD setup. I think it also has triple cone synchos which really helps out a lot.

Keoni

Which is the strongest transmission for a FWD 3SGTE? That is a question that has been debated and argued over since the swap became popular. I can tell you which transmission is the most reliable. The E-153 MR2 turbo and V6 Camry/Solara tranny are your best bet if you have high horsepower expectations. They are identical in appearance but have a few differances:

The MR2 turbo trans has a shorter final drive gear ratio and also has the shifter linkage on the opposite side of the transmission due to the fact that the motor is in the rear of the car. Guys who use this transmission for FWD swap parts from either a All-trac tranny or V6 Camry/Solara tranny. You can find info how to convert the MR2 turbo tranny to FWD shifting here:

http://celica.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cg ... 0;t=000028

The Camry/V6 Solara trans is already setup for FWD which means you dont have to convert anything. It has a longer final drive gear ratio and if you get a trans from a newer Solara V6 around the years of 1999 it will come with beefier syncronizers.

Axles: I am not sure what kind of car or what year car you are planning to use the 3SGTE in but if you are planning to use it with a FWD celica from 1990-93 then this axle write-up will help you to get the axles correct:

E-153 in FWD axle set-up

Clutch:when using either the MR2 turbo or V6 Camry/Solara, just order a MR2 turbo Clutch kit. It will make things easier then having to explain what motor you have and what transmission you are trying to use.

Mounting/shifting: once again if you have a 1990-93 Celica then this applies. Mount the E-153 trans exactly how a all-trac tranny is mounted in a all-trac celica. They share ALL the same mounting hardware. Use the all-trac crossmember w/ the two rubber insulated front and rear mounts, all-trac rear mounting bracket that bolts to the rear of the tranny, and the front bracket is interchangeable betw. the 5SFE tranny the MR2 turbo/V6 Solara/All-trac tranny so you can use the 5sfe from mount bracket if you wish.
Switch out the shifter cables when the engine bay is empty b/c trying to swithc them with the engine bay full is not fun .Use all-trac shifter cables and if you can the all-trac shifter assembly b/c the 5SFE cables are different.

Hopefully you went the smart route and got a Front Clip then alot of the parts that you need to use a E-153 MR2 turbo or V6 Camry/Solara tranny will already be in your possession. Good luck!

mtbgael

Is a 4th gen GT-S tranny essentially the same as a 2G MR2 tranny? (pre 1993) I know both are open diff and bolted to a 3S block, so if they are the GT-S tranny would knock out a few of the steps in there.

note: if it is I'm desperately trying to get rid of this tranny...had it lying around for 2 years since I wrecked the car...8k miles after it was fully rebuilt for $1100....

The STRONGEST tranny? Get an X-TRAC transmission like the one they use in the JGTC Super AUTOBACS MR-S. It seems to work well for them, and they go for only about ~ $30k. Other than that, the Solara or MR-2 tranny will probably be a little stronger than the 5S-FE tranny, but until i see more 5S-fe's blow up (including mine) i don't see a reason to change. The gear ratios in the 5S-FE tranny are great for the 3S-GTE, i love to drive my FWD Celica with that trans. in it. The only major downside is the fact that you have to use the smaller clutch disc for the 5S-FE whenever you use the 5S transmission, which probably won't be good for higher power applications. One other thing, no matter what you use, get an All-Trac/MR-2 slave cylinder for the transmission. I am using a 5S-FE slave cylinder and with the 3S-GTE pressure plate it makes the clutch more like an on/off switch. Using the larger slave cylinder will make the clutch have a more progressive feel and it will be easier to drive by far.

A

Anonymous

Since we're in the topic,

I've heard of cemented gearbox on the All-trac AWD. I think some guy ran a 10 sec with that setup.

How is it done?

I must say it is a form of "bracing" or making the gearbox housing stay together and not flexing,which may throw away the gears due to increase lash(caused by the gearbox flexing).I may be wrong on this part so please correct me.

Many thanks.

FWD-3SGTE

Thanx keoni and everyone else for all your help - I will def save this page haha and let ya guys know how it all turned out!!!!!!!!! Thanx!

CelicaGT4

I did the complete motor swap and if you have any questions just get a hold of me through PM or email... celicagt4@gmail.com

BTW, I'd go with the Mr2 one if you have all the shit to transfer the shift linkage to the other side since the motor is in the rear of the 2's.

You can also get a MR2 tranny with a limited slip differential (93+) which
the Solara never had, If I was putting a 3sgte in a FWD it would have
the 93 MR2 tranny with limited slip. The synchros in those cars are fine
or at least they are/were on the 4 93 MR2 turbos that I have owned

BraveUlysses

cylinderhead":e4k0ffkl said:

I've heard of cemented gearbox on the All-trac AWD. I think some guy ran a 10 sec with that setup.

The only 10sec alltrac belongs to PatC, and it runs a stock transmission.

Terboman

If you end up with a Solara setup, I know Kaaz and Quaife make LSD's for Solara tranny. I'm sure the MR2 tranny would have a heck more options than that tho.

Do you guys remember that dude from like...the Netherlands or Iceland or Norway or whatever? That guy used to post about his "cemented" tranny. I forgot his name tho. Did it start with an A? Like Azodiode? Or Amadeus or something? I don't see that guy around anymore. He sounded like he had a fast car. Never saw pictures of it but...it sounded fast.

etantshi

BraveUlysses":2jsvaxnr said:
cylinderhead":2jsvaxnr said:

The only 10sec alltrac belongs to PatC, and it runs a stock transmission.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the st165 guy from the netherlands who wrecked his car. He cemented the tranny.

Wraith

camry/solara V6 trans is also called the e153 same as the MR2 turbo trans ... except the difference is in gearing and the V6 Camry/solara has dual synchros... The final drive on the camry/solara trans is 3.96; while the MR2 turbo one has a 4.29 final drive.

Either way I have a MR2 turbo e153 trans... If I blow up my tranny I'll just buy the camry/solara trans

A

Anonymous

Terboman":sbwk8657 said:
If you end up with a Solara setup, I know Kaaz and Quaife make LSD's for Solara tranny. I'm sure the MR2 tranny would have a heck more options than that tho.

Do you guys remember that dude from like...the Netherlands or Iceland or Norway or whatever? That guy used to post about his "cemented" tranny. I forgot his name tho. Did it start with an A? Like Azodiode? Or Amadeus or something? I don't see that guy around anymore. He sounded like he had a fast car. Never saw pictures of it but...it sounded fast.

Still have a link of that post he made?

Many thanks.

RedCelicaTRD

Yup, I remember him. His ST165 was wrecked while doing a magizine article. He rebuilt it but said the chasis was to weak to do 10 sec. runs. I think the fastest he ran was a 10.5.