CT26 Wastegate. How tight?

Cormudgen

Ok,

I got another used turbo in the mail today from someone who pulled it off of a MR2 with 90,000 miles. He said it was in exclenent condition and had no problems just upgraded to a new turbo. Unfortunately aafter he took it off his car he left it in a shop outside and it got EXTREMLY rusty on the exhuast housing side. After TWO cans of pb blaster I finaly got off the coolant and oil lines. Then proceded to find out the wategate was stuck shut. Worked with it and now I can get it to open. Ok, it seems as though the spring it is on is EXTREMLELY tight. Like I have to pry itopen with a flathead and then get my finger under it to open it all the way. One time the screwdriver slipped and it snapped down on my finger like a mouse trap. Thought it was gonna break my damn fingernaill off. Anway, is it supposed to be this tight. I though I remeber on another turbo I had that the wastegate was just flapping around. Please let me know how tight it suposed to be.

Mark

Gary

It should be tight but not tight enough to break the fingernail or bleed you. You can easily place your finger there.

Cormudgen

well it didnt exactly break my fingernail. but closed shut prety hard. wasnt exactly not painful at all. for comparison

probaly would have put an indetino in some balsa wood if any of you kow what that is

Cormudgen

alltrac4life":1f3pnhb8 said:
probaly would have put an indetino in some balsa wood

Whoa

y the woa?

u know what balsa wood is? the REAL light wood you use to bulid the model airplanes