EGT installation question?

GT4CE

I want to install an EGT in my ST165. I believe the general opinion is to place it about an inch away from cyclinder #3 on the exhaust manifold. However, how do I seal the sensor into the adapter supplied?

The adapter I have is supposed to screw in the exhaust, and the probe inserts into the adapter and is held by a screw into the side of the adapter.

My biggest fear in placing this here, is that it won't seal properly to hold boost.

TraviST185

He is talking about putting an EGT in the exhaust manifold. If you leak exhaust from the manifold you will not spool your turbo as well.

Anyway the solution to your consern is a tapered tap. Then when you install the EGT probe it will seal tight.
Get your egt probe from TRE
http://www.teamrip.com/accessories.html
The best, fastest, EGT probe out there.

RuiSousa

Is it possible to get a tight weld around the flange/sensor? If so, then screw it on with a custom lead gasket.

alltracman78

Austen_gt4":11gxz5tq said:
there is no boost on the exhaust side of a turbo. just exhaust gases..

But the pressure on the exhaust side is still greater than the intake side.

If the probe is worth anything it should seal with what it came with. What do the directions say?
Did it come with a compression fitting?

ChrisD

alltracman78":1twgamyb said:
If the probe is worth anything it should seal with what it came with.

I agree. I've used both Autometer and Greddy EGT gauges, and have had zero problems with fitting or sealing it using the supplied probes. No need to run out and get another probe unless there is some problem with your current one.

ChrisD

GT4CE":3t3gb4mu said:
No, it didn't come with a compression fitting.

You can use a tap to drill and tap a hole in the manifold. Or you can buy a bung that you can weld onto the manifold. Either way should work.

GT4CE

I bought an Autometer EGT, the part supplied had a screw in fitting which I drilled and tapped, the fitting is in secure and definitely isn't leaking. My concern was with the way the probe fit into the fitting.

If you guys say it's good, then I believe it.

The start for this is that I'm getting like 2 psi of boost, the car runs fine but just no boost. I thought I was possibly loosing boost here, but I think I installed my boost controller hoses backwards on the turbo I've looked through the Apex manual and I'll double check it tonight.

I have looked for other leaks, but I can't find any.

alltracman78

Austen_gt4":1plw7kga said:
i did not know that.. do you have any idea how much is on the exhaust side?? just curious..

Dunno, it depends on the car/mods.

On ours stock, maybe 2x as much as the intake manifold pressure. :shrug: Maybe more :shrug:

GT4CE

Thanks for all the input guys, I did hook up my boost controller hoses backwards, so I'm going to label them so this doesn't happen again.

Also thanks for the reassurance on the EGT probe, that was something bothering me.

I'm just glad it was something simple.