upgrading wta intercooler?

built2run

dude, i had a big ass list of facts from a lot of different places that basically contradicted each other in both ATA and ATW setups but my dumb ass closed the page just b4 i was done :doh: :shoots:

long story short, there is one disadvantage to each and in a best of the best comparison... cooling and stamina reamain "too close to call"

ATA: reduced response
WTA: conciderably heavier

so i guess it comes down to prefference.
and yes most people do not have a properly set up WTA system and that is why its a lot more common to see the cooler intake temps for ATA.

i really expected to have a definate one or the other answer but like i said in a best of the best for both the choice is response or less weight and saying that the gains of either one will net you about the same and bothe for the same cost if both are done the best way possible....

the only real difference is having an icebox for the WTA but thats something that is a one shot deal; therefore it goes out the window for this topic

Dracov

In my mind, "best" comes down to the primary function of the vehicle and personal preference, in roughly equal servings. After those are decided...by all means make the best intercooler system you can, don't half-ass it or you'll just end up longing for the other option believing it is all around better.

Insanity-74

Dracov":3aluqje1 said:
In my mind, "best" comes down to the primary function of the vehicle and personal preference, in roughly equal servings. After those are decided...by all means make the best intercooler system you can, don't half-ass it or you'll just end up longing for the other option believing it is all around better.

Definately agree...do it half assed and you are wasting your time no matter which system you choose...personally I`d go fro a WTA charge cooler...Its my prefered system...despite my arguments for a FMIC system I dont like them at all..I hate all the ugly birds nest of pipework.
and the fact that I spend a large % of my time in rush hour traffic going nowhere means a FMIC wouldnt be doing much..

For interest, I`m developing a new mk2 charge cooler, based on the standard charge cooler (using its shell with new internals), which may go into a small production run...one or two may be made available to folks in the US.....as my development goes on I`ll keep posting up here....if production is successfull I`ll see who wants one and how much people would be willing to pay.

Gary ST165

nial,

if your planning to cut up a ST205 unit, why not just do the job properly re route / position the inlet and outlet and mount the bloody thing away from major heat source / soak.

k911cc029.jpg

ie >>> anywhere NOT on top of the cylinderhead / manifold area.

side feed ST215 inlet manifold, straight intake etc jobs a goodun

8)

Insanity-74

I was thinking that, but it invites a whole host of problems....not the least supporting the bugger...rerunning all the pipework, then I have to worry about relocating the battery, sorting out the airfilter location etc...I`ll look into it though as its a good idea..

6strngs

It'd be cool for your own personal car, but to put that into production you won't have a very big market because people would need to relocate the battery and have a straight intake and possibly need other modifcations/fabrications and not everyone is willing to do that. Besides, you just said you didn't like having a bunch of pipework under the hood 8)

built2run

i like that idea of moving the core, i also thought of the same i've also been looking into the biggest heat exchanger i can fit in front of the a/c condenser area on a st165 i was looking at a radiator with horizontal flow but its hard to find one that really fits.

6strngs

Ok, so I need some help, maybe I should make a new thread for this but I figure I'll post it here also. But I finally got some time today to install my ST205 IC pump, get out there, remove the ST165 pump and set them side by side to compare...

waterpumps.jpg

the 205 pump is WAY bigger than the 165 pump. Which I don't mind at all, I wanted a more effective system anyway. However, the inlet/outlet do not line up, and lines are way bigger on the 205 pump. The inlet/outlet on the 165 pump are about 5/8", maybe closer to 11/16" (I measured about 17mm) and the lines for the 205 pump are about 7/8" (about 21-22mm). This poses a problem since I was hoping it would just line up. has anyone else done this upgrade? I would like to know what they did to get it in there without ripping the whole system out and replacing everything.

built2run

i would get the whole setup, and you don't have to use the hardlines at all if you want you can use longer sections of hose to hook it all up.

Insanity-74

built2run":3794t55r said:
i would get the whole setup, and you don't have to use the hardlines at all if you want you can use longer sections of hose to hook it all up.

+1 to that...it makes installation so much easier, plus you can be alot more flexable where you run your pipes...a few lengths of the flexable samco pipe and you`ll be sorted.

timmey

Thanks guys,

Does anyone know if Toyota makes a rebuild kit for this pump? My st205 IC pump sounds dead and is making some brutal squeaking sounds when it warms up. I saw that johndgt4 said they can be rebuilt. Would this be in the BGB or on any site you can think of?

I suppose, being in Canada, I'll need to order any rebuild parts from the UK or Japan seeing they never made the ST205 here at all, and they didn't use that pump on any other car. Depending on costs, it might just be easier to find another used.

Cheers,

Timmey

grip addict

the lines are indeed 7/8. when i had my wta setup on my car i had the same pump. i ended up using 3/4 in lines with a bit of vasoline and violence, and that worked just fine. the only bracket necessary was the bottom one... otherwise lines all the way work quite well.
after i had it all installed i found out that carquest can sell 7/8... blah

freddie

Not only is the 205 intercooler bigger than the previous ones, but the pump is too. It is about double the size of the 165 pump, larger diameter hoses as well. The pump is as big as a washing machine pump lol.

A company in China called GPI Racing make a heat exchange aluminium radiator for the 205 and MR2. They are on the web if you want to look at it.

Thanks for the tip about the insulation felt. The larger reservoir is a good idea as well, locate it somewhere away from the engine heat. Also I am thinking of installing thermostat switch somewhere so my ECU can control the pump operation.

I live in Australia where the summers are hot. (very hot up to 40c). The air in the day is dry hot so I don't thing an air to air type intercooler is suitable. Therefore I for one will be sticking with WTA system. Maybe I will put a fan in front of the HE.

I once saw at RaceWars a Toyota Echo with a 3SGTE engine in it, with a big rectangular aluminium tank and in the tank was a block of dry ice. This was their intercooler.lol

freddie

Further to my previous crap, I am using the 205 system (as well as the engine) in my 165. I have purchases a silicon rubber "charge cooler" hose kit from a EBay seller in the Uk. About three quarters of the hoses are wasted because I have located the pump in a different location to that of the 205 stock position. So I went to a industrial hose supplier and got commercial type silicon hose (I think it was 20mm diam) and PTFE plastic fittings all pressure and heat suitably rated for my application. (I should have done this in the first place)