ALS/Bangbang Anti-Lag System in AT?

CodingParadox

So, I hear rumors that toyota has a bangbang ALS in some incarnations of the alltrac. I believe it's only the 205, but someone mentioned a really early version of it in the 165 and 185? Does anyone know more about this? I'd be pretty damn interested in implementing a bangbang for autocross if it's possible. I'm just wondering how much custom work I'm gonna have to do. :)

BraveUlysses

There is no such system on the 185 or 165. There might be one on the CS/RS, but I am unsure of this.

You *really* don't want to run an antilag system on a street car, as it will blow turbos like its goin out of style.

CodingParadox

Well, given that I have a few turbos lying around, I would consider being willing to risk it. ;-)

It'd only be something used for, like, autox, rallyx, and drag racing. It definitely wouldn't be used for street use. It'd be something enablable with a switch that was to be used when really needed only. I realize it burns through turbos and exhausts. :)

etantshi

Anti lag in solo II would put you well into the extreme category with a lot of the serious racers... I doubt it would even be a competition unless you had other serious suspension mods.

The system never came stock on the st165 or st185. You could get a st205 head and impliment the WRC exhaust manifold and find a way to activate it. Good luck finding the parts though.

CodingParadox

Meh, just like tracking, I'm not out at autocross for the competition, I'm out for the fun. Engineering a bangbang system would just be fun for the challenge and then the result would be fun to play with sometimes. :)

BraveUlysses

Well as interesting as it would be, your time and money would be better spent elsewhere.

But maybe you've got some serious change burnin' a hole in your pocket.

Conrad_Turbo

CodingParadox":1pkyhqf5 said:
Meh, just like tracking, I'm not out at autocross for the competition, I'm out for the fun. Engineering a bangbang system would just be fun for the challenge and then the result would be fun to play with sometimes. :)

I'm developing one for my race Starlet, should be tested next year's autox season. :D The car only gets probably 10-15kms a year of hard solo2 autox driving so the turbo would last a very long time while costantly being run under the anti-lag system.

Lots of classes don't have rules stating that anti-lag is allowed...or not allowed...so it's a grey area on what is done with it. With the WCMA rules I am under anti-lag is considered "exhaust work" so I don't have to take any prep points for it.

widebodyhachi

To buy the 321 grade stainless steel which is minium grade used most rally cars use a titanium mexhaust and manifold dump pipe etc as teperatures are stipdly hot
Or you can buy the manifold and attachments through your toyota dealer just ask about TTE products

there is a huge problem with back pressure (EMS) caused by heat so gases can flow back into the engine so make sure your pipes have equal length pressure and the right flow rates

Mate I say go for it just expect to chew through turbos
TTE used 46 HKS WRC specs turbos in one season when they first introduced it it ant gona be cheap but like you say will be hell of an acomplismenth if you can