205 IC on 165 motor

saved_1992

i tried to put on the 205 intercooler on my 165 that has the 1 gen motor. would not fit, the intercooler is too big (wide). i have seen the 205 intercooler on a 2 gen motor in the 165 though, and it fit fine.

i think the problem is the turbo sits higher with the 1 gen than the 2 gen motor. also the intake is closer to the turbo compared to the 185.

Rick89GTS

I was curious as I may have a line on a 205 IC but don't know how much modding I'd be in for.

Yeah, I think "5Speed" had the 205 IC on a 185 motor in a 165 body.
Heh heh, 3 generations of AllTrac in one car :wink:

saved_1992

well did some measuring the 2 gen exhaust manifold is 4.75" from the flange to the area(edge) that the turbo bolts up to. the 205 is 5.5" and both seem to have the turbo clocked pointing more up. left the 165 at work so i will take more measurements on that manifold later.

will the 205 exhaust manifold bolt up to the 1 gen or 2 gen?

saved_1992

what are the fitment problems? i have the 205 assem and just eyeballing looks close. i would rather not have to take all apart just to check.

was there a pic of them side by side?

saved_1992

yep redcelicatrd you are right my eyball was off by just soo little the 205 exhaust manifold will not fit.

i am working on getting the 205 intercooler to fit a 1 gen in the 165. will post the results. hopefully this week 8)

A

Anonymous

Mike, how many all-tracs do you have? I heard that you might be selling one soon.

Rick89GTS

saved_1992":3nj3nwyn said:
.....i am working on getting the 205 intercooler to fit a 1 gen in the 165. will post the results. hopefully this week 8)

Looking forward to the results, good luck :D

saved_1992

well i do know the 205 will fit on a stock 165 if you clock the turbo, but you would have to cut the inlet of the intercooler about 3-4 inches.

i did not want to do that, so out came the 1 gen turbo assem in went the 2 gen exhaust manifold and turbo. i used the adapters for the water and oil lines from the 1 gen and swapped to the 2 gen. now in the process of the adjustments needed to fit.

note with the 2gen exhaust manifold and turbo the intercooler fits with cutting inlet a little. the 2 gen puts the turbo farther away from the engine and sits lower.

ATSAaron

saved_1992":lk19o6pb said:
note with the 2gen exhaust manifold and turbo the intercooler fits without cutting. the 2 gen puts the turbo farther away from the engine and sits lower.

Did your wastegate arm clear the ST165 oil cooler?

Aaron

Rick89GTS

Mike, here are some of the pics:

205intercooleron165009.jpg

205intercooleron165002.jpg

205intercooleron165003.jpg