3SGE intake manifold on a 3SGTE??

trd-at

So i was wondering if anyone out there has done a 3sge manifold on their 1,2,3 gen 3sgte in a 185. I was also wondering if this swap will prove any gains or losses in power? Does iot bolt up to the gen 2 head? Any answers in this direction would be helpful. Thanks all

bccentaur3

SDC10148.jpg

Gen 1 head (5sgte) . Will also bolt up to Gen 2 head. makes it cleaner and easier to do tune-ups.

TRDcelica90

you have to get it off a 3sge that has TVIS it will bolt straight up.. side feed dont lean out cylinders like our shit 3sgte manifold.. also the 3sge has a bigger opening.. im def doing it!!

trd-at

Where can i find on of these manifolds?? any ideas? i have looked around and have no luck. Thanks guys!!

trd-at

also, what year or generation did this intake manifold come on?? What cars in the us or foreign?

ct27gt

There was a thread about it over on mr2oc where a tuner named RickyB (I think) was involved in where the guy said he was able to take out fuel and add timing on cylinders 2 and 3 cuz they weren't leaning out anymore. So yeah, better air distribution. Not only that but it keeps the IC piping away from the valve cover which is a huge plus.

TRDcelica90

I just bought one from another state for $50 delivered, so there a bloody bargain.. a local wreakers nearby mine sells them for $22.. but i CBF taking it off plus the one i bought it a JDM so i dont have to block the EGR for my jap motor!!!

so yes the 162s with a 3sge that HAS TVIS!

trd-at

great info, thank you! Well i will try to track one down here in colorado. If anyone finds on please let me know, thank you

Mafix

note this can only be done on gen 1 and gen 2 3sgtes.
the intake manifold comse off a 4th gen celica GTS (sx). or for others the first gen 3sge.
moneyshot.jpg

DudeMan

Mafix":29qrtssh said:
note this can only be done on gen 1 and gen 2 3sgtes.
the intake manifold comse off a 4th gen celica GTS (sx). or for others the first gen 3sge.

What all had to be modified to use this manifold?

I'm pretty sure the stock braces wont work, what about the vacuum lines on the back?

bccentaur3

No vacuum ports on the back for me. All the vacuum ports are up front. I coudlnt use the brace on my set-up because its a 5sgte. All you have to do is notch the throttle inlet to match the iacv on the gte throttle body.

redGT4

Interesting. There's a few gen 4's at my local wrecker. I'm gonna have to investigate them a bit more closely.

DudeMan

So basically I should just grab everything when I get the manifold.

That's all there is to it? Just the CSI and IACV need to be modified?

Mafix

dudeman i've used the stock 165 throttle body. the only thing you need 165 wise is the manifold and a steady hand. you have to cut a notch in the bottom of the throttle body inlet for the IAC.

Mafix

just block off the CSI. it's not needed. easy enough there.
NOTE: my manifold has been smoothed out. it looks very different from the stock one.

redGT4

So theres two similar types at the wrecker near me, one from a 3sge in an '88 just lying on the ground (someone took the head). And on the other side of the yard one from a 3sfe ('86 i think) was also lying on the ground. The 3sge was badged TVIS on top. I think i might have to go back and grab it. Price board says 4cyl intake manis are $19. :)