Need quick help

Q&A regarding engines, turbos, and intercoolers and power upgrades

Need quick help

Postby big_c_tothe_z » Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:21 pm

A while ago I broke the far right stud for my exaust manifold and today I was using a stud remover to try and remove the broken stud and it broke flush with the block. Is there any way to get this out? Should I even bother with it? I dont really want put everything together, take it somewhere and have it taken apart again. Im not in the mood to tow it anywhere seeing as how I finally get a day to work on my car and maybe even get it running and this happens. Also, while using the stud remover I didnt realize it but I was pinching one of those two steel lines that run under the exhaust manifold. I put a fairly good pinch in it, not all the way together, probably about half way. Should I worry too much about this? thx
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Chaz
Red st185 (for sale soon)
Black ae92 (daily driver)
Red st165 (the new toy)
big_c_tothe_z
Club Member

Postby cdaviesaz » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:01 pm

Yes, you can use something called an EZ-OUT. Basically, you carefully drill into the stud with a smaller specified bit. Then, once the hole is drilled, you screw in the appropriately sized EZ OUT bit. The stud will come right out once the EZ OUT bit starts getting traction.

If I can do this on a Nissan Maxima (with the V6 exhaust bank facing down), you can do this on a 4cyl with the exhaust side facing right at you.

You can get the kit at most Auto supply store. Should be about $20 for a set.

Good luck!
88 ST165: Dual inlet turbo, 3" down pipe, 2.5" exhaust, battery relocated/straight intake, etc.

SOLD! $3250
cdaviesaz
Club Member

Postby Stubble » Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:58 am

The 2 steel lines, called the water by-pass pipe, carry coolant. If the flow of coolant is restricted, then that is not good. However, a small dent shouldn't weaken the pipe. "Halfway" sounds like quite a bit to me; that might weaken the tube and restrict flow. You could try to buy a replacement from someone who has a parts engine (Alltrac or MR2), or you could cut out the bent piece and weld in a new piece.
Brady Ryall
1990 ST185 Red - parts
1990 ST185 Black
1999 Miata
2008 A3 Quattro S-line
Stubble
Established Member

Return to Performance and Power