st205 throttle body

ruffneck

As I understand it, the st205 throttle body should be a straight swap onto the st185....anyone confirm this? Next question - anyone know where I can get one from...everwhere I've tried here only sells a complete front cut, if they have it at all...

Puffy

They are NOT interchangeable.

GT4 are 50mm and the Group A / CS are 55mm. This is a straight swap.

ST205's are 60mm and do not bolt up to the 185 intake manifold.

ruffneck

yeah i'm pretty sure that mine is 50mm, and it's a jap import st185....so anyone know who sells a bigger throttle body for the st185 then?

saved_1992

maybe you can tell us what you are trying to do. there are a couple different places that sell throttle inlets, not throttle body.

ruffneck

Ok, if you have 2-1/4 or 2-1/2 inch intercooler piping, the 2 inch opening of the throttle body creates a bottleneck for air going into the plenum..I'm trying to get rid of that...BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY!..sorry got carried away, but yeah, that's basically it..a friend who runs drag cars pointed this out to me on the weekend while I was at his house..

BraveUlysses

I would say its a restriction, but probably not a OMG HUGE one. Just step up to a ChrisK or RMR side-feed throttle body with a 75mm mustang TB. 8)

MATT-S

If you find a solution to this please let me know, because I have a 205 wrc charge cooler sitting in my garage that i'm desperate to fit up, but I don't particularly want to go from a 3" outlet straight down to a 2" inlet. There isn't enough room to make a custom smooth reduction pipe so it will be forcing boost int an inch of flat metal, not ideal.
Cheers
Matt

CMS-GT4

Bay area makes an adapter for a 205 IC to fit the 185 TB. Pretty good idea.

I think for everyone else, custom intake manifold, and using a mustang TB is the best choice for big power and fmic.

saved_1992

personally i think unless you are running alot of horse power over 350-400 (maybe more) the "bottle neck" is negligable. the air is getting forced in not pulled in like a normally aspirated engine.

the ATS adapter claims to gain just 7 horse power on a modified engine and up to 20hp on a high hp engine.

MATT-S

Good work Saved, that's brilliant. What mr2 is the rubber reducer thing off? is it the turbo? So all I need is one of those adapters some sealant and a reducer and i'm away!!!! Did you fit the 205 cc to the 165? If so I reckon it will make more of a difference with my 185 a/a interwarmer.
Cheers
Matt

saved_1992

you will still need to hook up a pump and a radiator for the 205 ic set up

off a 91 mr2 turbo, can use any silicone based turbo hose that fits, all the part numbers are on the write up, i put a * for the parts you need

yes it is on my 165, the plan was for my 185 but now i think i will put on a fmic on the 185.

the other pics from the UK site might also be helpfull if you know how to weld.

MATT-S

Cheers Mate thats brilliant. I have a st165 pump (because I cant find one for a 205 or cs/rc anywhere) I'm going to try it and see how well it works, I couldn't get a rad anywhere either so I'm going to use 2 gsxr 1000 exup rad and fans, possibly with a custom tank tucked away somewhere to keep the water volume up. In the pictures it looked like the hose you used to conect the tb to the ic is tapered, is this correct? or does it just look that way?
Cheers
Matt

saved_1992

hose just looks like that, you have to stretch the hose over the ic, the adapter is a perfect fit for the hose.

another idea i used an ac condensor for a bigger ic radiator 27"x12"x1" thick :D was for an old toyota truck. (works great) has the inlet and outlet on the same side and a 5/8" hose fit right over the ac fittings :D

oh and where i was looking to fit the ic radiator on my 185 was between the ac condensor and the radiator,wanted to keep the ac.

the 165 the radiator fit nicely up front and was able to keep the ac and the fog lights. i was even able to install a pull fan behind the ic radiator to help with keeping the fluid cool :D