catch can setups

Q&A regarding engines, turbos, and intercoolers and power upgrades

catch can setups

Postby race4gas » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:42 pm

Anyone out there using a custom catch can setup with a drain back to the oil pan? Pics would be great and why you chose to do it that way.

I plan to run an lines from the valve cover to catch can with a baffle and drain back to oil pan. I have not seen anyone running this before, just wondering why.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
race4gas
Club Member

Re: catch can setups

Postby klue » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:25 pm

Anyone with a gen 3 engine has this set up factory.
facebook.com/xiiimotorsports
#xiiimotorsports ON instagram
klue
GTFour God

Postby race4gas » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:33 pm

I am well aware of that but I have a gen 2 and if I remember correctly it doesn't have a drain to the oil pan or block it relases the pressure back into the intake
race4gas
Club Member

Postby aus jd 2703 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:34 pm

Does this mean a aftermarket catch can in a gen 3 is pointless?
aus jd 2703
Established Member

Postby race4gas » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:36 pm

I would say not because the stock gen 3 catch can is really small I would say it would be almost useless if your lookin at making the stock amount of boost. I really don't know how efficient it is though.

Would really like to know how these greddy and cusco cans relieve the crankcase pressure, if at all.
race4gas
Club Member

Postby GT4_ever » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:29 pm

Most universal fit catch cans go from crankcase to can to intake. I blocked off the port on my intake and routed the oil to a catch can that has a few holes to equal pressure.

No oil in intake, crankcase pressure = atmospheric pressure, life is good.

Side note, always makes me laugh when guys put those little breather filters on the end. Sure, you are filtering the air going in, but oil needs a way to go out too!
GT4_ever
Club Member

Postby awolo » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:59 pm

GT4_ever, can you elaborate on your setup a bit more?

I'm pulling a lot of oil into my intake, going to setup a catch can. Trying to figure out the best way.
awolo
Club Member

catch can setups

Postby celigts » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:28 pm

Gonna follow this as well cuz I'd like to add a catch can.
91 Celica Alltrac - Parts pile pending instal :P
3SGTE project motor very slow
Intake/Heat shield project slowly moving
Winnipegs respected TTI forum. join and love the community will welcome you with open arms and legs ? http://toptierimports.com/
celigts
Established Member

Postby Mafix » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:31 pm

just a couple pointers for you guys.
if you are getting oil in your catch can you are not venting enough pressure from the engine. look at all the performance engine and notice the rediculous pcv setups (and yes i even have one)

do not pull pcv through the intake. i'm guilty of this as well. all it does is cause comtamination in the intake charge, which in turn causes detonation.

there is a very fine line as to what is good enough and not enough. and terminology is also important. there are catch cans and there are breather tanks. i had the prior (60$ setup) and now i have the latter (400$ setup). big difference in performance as well.

pcv systems that blow oil are a cause of torque, not horsepower. fyi. and of course ring gap.

i asked several people about rerouting the breather tank to the oil pan. 90% of the people i talked to (big time tuners, not friends) stated that under no circumstance would they re-introduce now dirty oil back into the system. i tend to agree. and if you have a system that is large enough that it does not insta-fill the tank (which everyone should)then you'll see what i'm talking (and them) about with recirculating the oil. it's f'ing nasty stuff in there.

just my .02 cents on the subject.
Mafix
Gold Member

Postby l0ch0w » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:02 pm

Ever thought of a pan Evac?

It uses a venturi tube welded into your exhaust to pull vacuum on your crankcase. Im using one like that in my setup.

For the record, the size of the catch can is unimportant, especially if it drains back into the crankcase. Whats important is the size of the pipes coming out of your valve cover, and your piston to wall clearance.

Here is a picture of the one used in my buddy's setup:

See how the PCV hoses coming out of the valve cover go into a check valve thats welded onto a tube on the exhaust pipe!
Andrew

1991 Red Alltrac
Frankenstein engine, lots of mods :P
l0ch0w
Established Member

1991 Toyota Celica

Postby Mafix » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:53 pm

old school there. the only bad thing about doing that is it makes your exhaust super nasty. no converters on that car! but aside from that, no can needed, weighs less, works just as well.
Mafix
Gold Member

Postby Mafix » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:56 pm

my setup
Mafix
Gold Member

Postby Mafix » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:58 pm

oh and to note:
guys using the large dual feed pcv systems are NOT using baffles in the cover. i think for most applications an improvement in the pcv system would be to add a simple catch can and remove the 2 inner baffles in the cover and only leave the 1st plate (the one you see when you flip the cover over).
Mafix
Gold Member

Postby l0ch0w » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:32 pm

Josh has run about 1000mi on his setup and its close enough to the outlet of the turbo that it all just gets burnt off. I woudnt say its super nasty or anything...

On a side note, pan evac is a little better than a vented catch can simply because it pulls vacuum on the crank case...

*ps mafix* ur intake filter is too small...
Andrew

1991 Red Alltrac
Frankenstein engine, lots of mods :P
l0ch0w
Established Member

1991 Toyota Celica

Postby Mafix » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:48 pm

it's only a 4 inch intake. no where else to put it.

yes i agree that PAN is better. i never thought of mounting it super close to the turbo to light off the oil.
Mafix
Gold Member

Next

Return to Performance and Power