catch can setups

Q&A regarding engines, turbos, and intercoolers and power upgrades

Re: catch can setups

Postby ZeroDrift » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:01 pm

Thought I'd chime in on this thread since I have some experience with catch cans and air oil separators. The oil that goes inside is actually not just oil, but rather a mixture of oil vapors combined with water vapors. This is what makes the oil contaminated and causes issues such as clogging and produces a mud like foam. Once that is heated the water evaporates and the oil is clean enough to return to the crankcase. This is what several notable manufactures do such as Ferrari and Porsche, not to mention this is common practice on piston engined aircraft. Quality air oil separators will have a heater element of some kind inside to keep the water in vapor form and is returned to the intake to be combusted.

Also, these setups need to be fairly free flowing as to not cause excessive crankcase pressures. So if you have a setup with some sort of filter, make sure its inspected and replaced as needed.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
ZeroDrift
Club Member

1988 Toyota Celica

Postby l0ch0w » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:05 pm

Mafix wrote:it's only a 4 inch intake. no where else to put it.

there is a calculation somewhere that figures out the minimum filter surface area required at any given HP level.

That said, that filter is most likely choking your motor :P Sorry to be off topic.
Andrew

1991 Red Alltrac
Frankenstein engine, lots of mods :P
l0ch0w
Established Member

1991 Toyota Celica

Postby Mafix » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:59 pm

it is not the simple air filter it appears to be. but the pic is mighty misleading.
Mafix
Gold Member

catch can setups

Postby celigts » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:52 pm

So for the 185's is it needed or better off to go for the box or cylinder style catch can?

Looking to get plans for the winter projects.
91 Celica Alltrac - Parts pile pending instal :P
3SGTE project motor very slow
Intake/Heat shield project slowly moving
Winnipegs respected TTI forum. join and love the community will welcome you with open arms and legs ? http://toptierimports.com/
celigts
Established Member

Postby Spectra1 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:44 am

On a side note, pan evac is a little better than a vented catch can simply because it pulls vacuum on the crank case...

Ok so I have read this through a few times and I think I understand most of it but im unsure what exactly pan evac is and how one would go about specifically doing this. Is pan evac when you vent the valve cover into the exhaust using the venturi set up?

Am I correct in saying: pan evac (venting into exhaust using the venturi set up?) > breather tank > baffled catch can rerouted to intake > no catch can

Also some members have been referring to needing to mount the venturi tube at the "right angle" in the exhaust....so what exactly is the right angle? Lastly how does one exactly go about creating a correct venturi tube ie shape, tube side, length?

I was going to do a simple catch can set up but I am intrigued by the idea of simply venting into the exhaust or near the turbo to be burned off. The turbo and exhaust are currently off so now would be the time to do it.

Last question, if I were to run two large lines (say -AN12) from the valve cover to the exhaust do I still need the little nipple on the valve cover that has a line going to the manifold?
93 St185 DD
90 ST185 - Project
Spectra1
Club Member

1990 Toyota Celica

Postby Spectra1 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:53 pm

No one has any info on this? Humm I guess ill just have to start experimenting :D
93 St185 DD
90 ST185 - Project
Spectra1
Club Member

1990 Toyota Celica

Postby 4rsnduction » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:16 pm

Instead of inventing the space pen why dont you just use a pencil ?
4rsnduction
Club Member

Postby Spectra1 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:47 pm

Instead of inventing the space pen why dont you just use a pencil ?

Because a space pen works better.

I have already decided to run the PCV system to my exhaust using a venturi tube, I was just looking for a few more details about the most efficient design. My engine is out, and I have the time so why not.
93 St185 DD
90 ST185 - Project
Spectra1
Club Member

1990 Toyota Celica

Postby athousandleaves » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:26 am

I can't see the pan evac setup being any good for people still running the stock AFM/ECU combo…
1992 Red GT-FOUR RC 626•1800
1992 White turbo4WD
athousandleaves
Established Member

Postby Spectra1 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:42 pm

I can't see the pan evac setup being any good for people still running the stock AFM/ECU combo…

Why is that?
93 St185 DD
90 ST185 - Project
Spectra1
Club Member

1990 Toyota Celica

Postby ZeroDrift » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:59 pm

It would show up as a leak after the afm. In my opinion these setups work well, but would be utter overkill for a close top stock setup.

Once I redesign my air oil separator to be more compact and instal friendly I will be using that on my car.
ZeroDrift
Club Member

1988 Toyota Celica

Previous

Return to Performance and Power