head job, what needs to be done?

thkohlb

so i have a spare head sitting in my basement beckoning to be redone, but there is one big problem, i don't know what should be done to it. I want everyone's opinion on what should be done, now i need to stay fairly reasonable in price but i want to get it done right and go as nice as i can. Give me an idea on what i can do to it and what parts i would need and how much it would cost.

Stubble

It's a second or third generation 3S-GTE head, right? At a minimum, I'd do this:
- 3 angle valve job $150
- replace valve guide bushings $100
- machine the deck surface $40
- check the intake and exhaust flanges for flatness - machine if required $50-100
- measure the camshafts and camshaft bearing clearances (DIY with a micrometer and some plastigage)
- fluorescent dye penetrant inspect for cracks $50
- before you install it, machine the deck of the block that it is going on. $40

options:
- port and polish the intake and exhaust (search on this forum and the net for more info on this - you don't want to just take a dremel tool yourself and remove material)
- 4 or 5 angle valve job
- shimless bucket conversion

I may be off on the prices, as I'm from Canada.

alltracman78

Stubble":s3gl063n said:
- measure the camshafts and camshaft bearing clearances (DIY with a micrometer and some plastigage)

That should be the first step. If it's off, the head is junk.

Good advice tho.

alltracman78

The 1ZZ-FE? [new celica engine] uses a shimless bucket in the valve train. Instead of replacing just the shim on top of the bucket, you replace the whole bucket. It weighs like 30% less than the old way. It allows higher rpms, and less parasitic loss.

In case you don't know what a bucket is, it is the piece that sits over the valve spring, that the cam lobe physically touches.

toayoztan

Sorry for the ignorance, but i've yet to learn about the head and really dig into it for experience...what's a 3 and 5 angle valve job mean?

Thanks!
Bryan

thkohlb

now if i did the shimless bucket, is that conversion bolt on or modifications required. If so how hard is it and what is entailed.

alltracman78

thkohlb":190ugnnz said:
now if i did the shimless bucket, is that conversion bolt on or modifications required. If so how hard is it and what is entailed.

No mods needed. The buckets just slip right on. Only hard part is measuring for the right clearance. I will try to find the site for it...