Mini-Alltrac - 3SGTE Rav4 AWD

MonkeyWrench

Some of you are probably familiar with our work on the 2ZZ and 1ZZ based Celicas, MR2-S, Corollas and Lotus cars. These are all 2WD vehicles but being in Detroit, it's nice to have a fun AWD car for the winter. Sure, I could have just bought an Alltrac or I could have converted a 7th gen Celica but I though this would be a little more unique.

97 Rav4 4WD 5-speed 120hp, 2650 lbs
aspurchased.jpg

+

99 Caldina 3S-GTE with AWD 5-speed trans 260hp stock
001.JPG

=

ravfront1.jpg

ravrear1.jpg

ravenginebay.jpg

The point was to build a simple, low budget AWD vehicle that would be nimble and fun in any sort of low traction situation. We've already had it out ice racing on a frozen bay and rallyx racing around a dirt course. It is an absolute blast. The wheelbase is tiny at 86" so it takes a bit of work to keep it straight but the flipside of that is that is is extremely nimble and responsive. The power is fantastic- at 18psi this thing really moves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8Q216Ewb60

The 350hp number on the video may be a bit optimistic :) I have not had it on the dyno because we have a 2WD Dynapack. It's running on a stock ECU which works great. Wiring was not what I'd call easy but it's doable if you know wiring. A ST205 swap would have been much easier.

Current engine mods include a full 3" exhaust, 3" cold air intake, front mounted intercooler and AVC-R boost controller. I'm planning to run it this way until the stock turbo gives up then upgrade to something slightly larger. I have no interest in going 200mph in this thing so a large turbo would be a waste. 350-400whp would be plenty.

Suspension mods include Koni adjustable shocks and modified H&R springs which lower it about 4.5". I did an aggressive street alignment. Currently riding on 17x8 wheels with Blizzak tires. I can't complain about the handling.

CMS-GT4

Engine sits lower than I expected. Looks like a fun daily. I think I am more curious about this celica listed in your sig though.

MonkeyWrench

Once you remove that top mount intercooler the engine is way down in that engine bay. It's on stock mounts. The original tiny 3S-FE was just lost in there.

CMS-GT4

Now that I am looking at your site, I think I recently contacted you about e153 final drives.

I am curious if you guys could shoehorn a 2gr in an alltrac. I know the camry v6 fits. I think one of our members might be trying to cram one in there as we speak.

jonnyboygt4

thats awesome...i would totally rock one of those in my driveway!.

haha another thought would be a 3SGTE powered awd seinna for us who have kiddies :D

WarTowels

I kinda wish you had gone with an absolutely huge TMIC, with a scoop. Since the engine sits so low, this would be been very humorous to me.

lumbercis

Cool project!

You know that the Caldina engine uses the thinner rods from the Beams 3sge... are you worried about rod failure running over 300hp? Or do you think the rods can handle bolt-ons+boost controller?

J.

phattyduck

I wish those weren't so ugly. :D

My project is the opposite - a long wheel-base (by 2") 4-door verison of the Alltrac.

-Charlie

88gt4DE

Total props for a kick ass project .... love it ... Not a red fan but still kewl as hell :notworthy:

Jason88AllTrac

Hey Matt!

I have never seen that swap before and I'm awestruck. That thing (I can't really call it a RAV4) sort of re-defines "sleeper". Very badass.

gt4tified

Wow...someone stole my idea! lol j/k

This was on my "things to do if I won the lottery" list a few years ago. I'm really glad someone saw it through.

I am interested to know what transmission was used and how the driveline and front axles/spindles were configured. Which front axles/halfshafts were used and which spindles?

Awesome build either way....time to go pwn some Subaru Foresters and DSM Airtreks (these were the JDM models...dunno if they were available in N/A).

MonkeyWrench

It's Caldina (same as all trac St205) awd trans. Stock Rav4 driveshaft and right front halfshaft. I had to modify an 01 Rav4 halfshaft for the left front.

Still cruising around at 18psi, no problems. I have learned that it's significantly faster than an E46 M3.

monkninja

MonkeyWrench":z9qzhesp said:
I have learned that it's significantly faster than an E46 M3.

Holy crap that is so awesome! I think I would cry if I was in an M3 and was toasted by a Rav4!