Possibly a 5SFE??

Theman88b

Hey fellow alltrac-ers, I am in somewhat of a lose at what engine is in my alltrac. The previous owner blew up the original engine and swapped in another engine. When i bought the car he said the engine was out of a non-turbo car so I thought maybe just the 3SGE which is still a 2.0l. He had mentioned it was a 2.2l but I thought he just didn't know what he was talking about because the car didn't even run anyway. After I get the car running I put it into the air and notice someone did some grinding on the engine block to fit the awd trans/t-case. I searched the forum and found out that this is needed to fit the 5SFE which is a 2.2l correct? I want to build this car for big power and just want to know what I have to work with. Is there any other engine that he could of put in this car? The oil pan, valve cover, intake manifold, exhaust mainfold, and turbo are all from original 3SGTE (which I have, in pieces). Thanks everyone.

Terracar

It may be possible that he used the 5sfe block. Are you saying that the car is currently NA? Some pictures might help determine as well.

-Terracar

Theman88b

It is turbo and everything from the 3SGTE was transferred over to this block. The head is not from the 3SGTE either so can a 5SFE head fit the intake and exhaust mainfolds from a 3SGTE? I attached one picture but kind of hard to get one of the shaved block. Are there any numbers on the block or something to determine which one it is? Thanks

Attachments

• IMAG0258.jpg
    IMAG0258.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 2,585

Terracar

No that is a 3sg/t head. The 5sfe will not fit the intake manifold from a 3sg/t head. The intake manifold appears to be a JDM manifold. It may be a 3rd gen head also, but I am not versed enough in the visual differences between 2nd/3rd gen valve covers/intake manifolds.

-Terracar

UtahSleeper

The lower end of the motor may be a 5s, but the head is definately a 3sge or 3sgte. Not sure how much power the lowerend will hold. May want to try and check it out.

Theman88b

I have the orignial engine which I am going to build up so I guess lets see how much this engine will hold. Blow it up then swap in the other one. Thanks for the help.

Theman88b

I know I posted in here a while back but I figured I would update. I never actually figured out what the engine was(still thinking 5SFE) but it ran for a while until I put 15 psi to it at the drag strip...blew the ring lands out on cylinder 1. I have rebuilt the original 3SGTE that came with the car and it has been great! Running 12 psi currently.

UtahSleeper

Glad you swapped to a known condition motor.

The car may have had a 5S block, but it was not an FE. It had a G series head on it cause the F head would not have supported the intake or mounted that valve cover. Did you dismantle the old motor to see what was inside?

Theman88b

Yeah I took it apart to see the damage, how would I tell what engine it was? I have junked it since, maybe it was just a 3SGE...

UtahSleeper

There was probably a stamp on the block that would have said what the block was, not sure though.

And the head.........not sure how to tell when gen of head that was.

Theman88b

I kept the head, it was a genuine Yamaha head. The head was off the original 3SGTE I believe, just the block was swapped. Now that I think about it I think the numbers are stamped on the back of the block, where the transmission bolts up.

Overtriped

I know on all of my 3s blocks it says "3S" near where the head bolts up, I believe right about where you bolt it to an engine stand.