Cracked Head? Where is a good place for a rebuild?

88gt4DE

Beining of the notorious head crack ... must be a 165 ... had to have brothers repaired at a machine shop ...

WarTowels

I'm not a machinist, so this is purely conjecture: but I would guess that your could grind out the crack until you reach solid metal again, which by the looks of it, is not very deep. And then Tig weld material into the cavity and reshape it. The crack is likely a result of over torquing the valve cover bolts. I don't imagine it see's much stress up there, so as long as you can get a seal with the gasket I'd bet you'd be gravy.

-Towels

themusicman5

Thanks for the help. I brought it to a shop in Spokane. I'll let you know what they say. Their first thought was that it was gone, but they are going to take it apart and see how far down the crack goes. I didn't realize it at first, but the crack does go down about an inch.

88gt4DE

Common for the 165 head ... I've had 2 repaired successfully so far ... im sure its something that will be an issue again someday. I'm pretty sure I saw a 1st gen head on ebay day er so ago ... just an fyi ...

l0ch0w

I dont know of any reputable places up in washington, Im sure there are, but if you are looking for a place with a national reputation for quality I might consider shipping the head to nolands cylinder head service out here in kansas city.
These guys are seriously top notch.

How hard would it be for you to simply convert to a gen 2 head? Those things are all over the place and those dont crack...