3sgte acceleration... mr2 vs alltrac

gpmarzan

Hey guys. Does anyone know if there is a noticably good difference on how the mr2 and alltrac accelerates? Assuming no mechanical issues, does the alltrac rev more 'freely' in high rpms due to its gearing? I remember the trac revving to its redline fairly quick, at least compare to the MR2. The MR2 seems like it struggles to reach redline, slowly revving at high rpm. I have a buddy ride with me and he said it seems fine and has good torque up to redline, but like i said it seems like it gets there slowly compare to the trac. Maybe its just me? Both have comparable mods of 3" exhaust/dp and a 50trim CT.

Black93Hardtop

Mr2's usually pull (accelerate) harder because they are lighter cars, not to mention they have excellent traction. Less drivetrain loss as well.

tubasteve

owning two very stock mr2s and gt4s....in second about 5.5k the mr2 would pull very well until about 5.5 in 4th. my celica is okay in second(only when it feels like it) thrid is the gear you want to be in. from a dig i feel the mr2 has the once rolling adv.

just my but dyno. i also do mean by feel

tw2

The mr2 is faster stock for stock. Unfortunately awd doesn't give you much of an advantage against the mr2 platform. The gen 3 (ct20b) pulls to 5500-6000rpm at which point you might as well change gear. Its been a long time since my 185 was even nearly stock but I seem to remember the ct26 was a pretty tiny turbo and was a waste of time going anywhere near redline except in 1st gear.

UndaGrwnD

see my post above with the youtube link, we both have the CT20B, only mine is a gen2 RC and his a gen3 with 3''DP and original turbo exhaust.

tubasteve

oh burn!.....i just way had a good chuckle. :rofl:

I thought the thread was about an alltrac.

i gave an evo 9 with an invidia exhaust a good run for its money, but anyone who has driven an evo, they have a nasty third gear when paired with gen2 usa.

why are we comparing the two anyways?

bloodMoney

We are comparing the two because the OP feels like there's a problem with the car at the top end of the RPM range. Both cars have the same mods: 50 trim turbo, 3" DP & exhaust and misc. electronics, but he still feels like his old 165 pulled harder than his current deuce.

I was thinking that it might have something to do with the electronics in the 165 being different from the mr2. The motors are both rev2 3sgte's, but the motor in the 165 is running off the original harness/ECU.

concealer404

bloodMoney":3ijstiej said:
We are comparing the two because the OP feels like there's a problem with the car at the top end of the RPM range. Both cars have the same mods: 50 trim turbo, 3" DP & exhaust and misc. electronics, but he still feels like his old 165 pulled harder than his current deuce.

I was thinking that it might have something to do with the electronics in the 165 being different from the mr2. The motors are both rev2 3sgte's, but the motor in the 165 is running off the original harness/ECU.

We fixed some of the problem once we diagnosed that TVIS wasn't working at all in the MR2. (on an RPM switch now) But he still feels like it's lacking. I'm not sure i agree, to be honest. It feels pretty healthy to me.

I'm with you in that the 185 motor on 165 electronics is probably a little more aggressive, and i also believe that the turbo on the AllTrac was bigger than what's on the MR2 currently. I don't think it's a 50trim. More like a 46. Also a gearing difference if i remember correctly.

That said, i would have thought that the weight would have made up for it.

I keep bugging him to get that wideband up and running so we can see what it's doing. I'm kindof thinking it's a normal case of the Gen2 garbage electronics.

Part of the problem is that he's comparing it to my daily driver MX6. I'm pretty sure his MR2 is faster than the MX6, but the power delivery is completely different between the cars. The MR2 is no drama, nice smooth pull. The MX6 lags until about 3000rpms, then the turbo (Supra CT26) spools and hits with all the subtlety of being rear ended by a Mack truck. It's borderline uncontrollable and feels much faster than i think it is on the only 8psi i run daily.

tubasteve

1st gear 2nd 3rd 4th 5th
alltrac xxx xx x x x
mr2 x xxx xx xx xxx all are stock, 100% with all three around 80k miles
*evo9 xx xx xxx xxx xx

both toyotas depended on time of day and heat. I live were day its 109, and 60-50 nights, it was 39 here the other night after a 99* day, shit wears you out with that temp change