What turbo to upgrade to?? Any ideas

Skip

Hey guys

Im looking to upgrade the turbo in my 90 all trac, so i am doing alot research on turbos themselves as i dont know a huge amount about trim and a/r ratios as so on. The one thing i havn't found an answer for yet is what does a manufacture mean when they say "come with dry bearing housings"

Also is anyone who has suggestions on turbo manufactures or types, i would love to hear them!

Later

Skip

My ultimate goal is around 300. I would like to start with the turbo upgrade and then work on the supporting mods to get the 300 mark in the future.

carfunatic

if i could make a suggestion. you should probably do that the other way around, once you change a turbo you change the amount of air that its forcing in the engine it maybe the same PSI but the amount of air changes. once you start doing that its really easy to blow stuff up. you should take a look at the link below its very useful. now on the topic i am a huge fan of garrett turbos, but the new borg warner EFR series is very interesting.

http://www.mrcontrols.com/primers/power.htm

Skip

Thanks "carfunatic"

Thats a great article. Addes to my decision making for sure. Lots to consider. I have an exhaust manifold and down pipe that i would like to use if i can as it was a past gift but am not set on it. I plan on getting some pictures of them on here so i can get some input about that to.

Thanks Again

Skip

Found a guy selling a brand new Garrett T3/T4 (t04B housing .60 comp stage 1.5 .63 exhaust)
Would this be to much for a reliable driver. Not looking for top end so to speak just fast spool.

Any input?

Skip

So here is the tubo i was talking about, and the other catch is i would like to use this exhaust manifold and downpipe if i could.(next pics) they were a gift a while back so im trying to fit them into the deal.

What do ya think lads?

Attachments

• garrett t3t4.jpg
    garrett t3t4.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 0

l0ch0w

for a goal of 300whp the best turbo that you can get for the price would be either a ct20b or an ATS ct27... They are direct fit turbos. with the ct27 its essentially a stock turbo with an upgraded compressor and a ported exhaust housing. They are good to just over 300whp and they will spool the quickest. No serious modification necessary and they are cheap comparitively. I personally would recommend the ct27... its pretty awesome.

alltracst185

I say get a Greddy TD06 20G kit, they can be had for less than 1k shipped slightly used. I had one on my trac for a few years and loved it! Then I got bit by the "more power" bug and decided to go crazy :p

Skip

So gretty seems to be the brand of choice I'm seeing. I'm curious about turbonetics? How do they compare to a greddy or hks? Is the ceramic ball bearing setup in the turbonetics comparable to what greddy runs?

Thanks for all the input guys, I want to make sure I do this upgrade right the first go and the experience from u guys makes it alot easier to be confident in what I decide!

magnum

l0ch0w":pajhx092 said:
for a goal of 300whp the best turbo that you can get for the price would be either a ct20b or an ATS ct27... They are direct fit turbos. with the ct27 its essentially a stock turbo with an upgraded compressor and a ported exhaust housing. They are good to just over 300whp and they will spool the quickest. No serious modification necessary and they are cheap comparitively. I personally would recommend the ct27... its pretty awesome.
I agree CT27 for 300whp on pump gas.

l0ch0w

now... if the price really doesnt matter, the best turbo is probably the twin scroll borg warner EFR... They dont yet make the twin scroll for the smaller ones like the 6258, but when they come out... you cant beat it at least based on its feature list. I personally am going to be running a twin scroll wastegated 7670 which I will be purchasing at the end of september.