block and crank options

Landon

guys, i'm gonna sound like such a newb by asking this... but i am doing a full build for my senior project and i need to start gathering things together. i want to build my motor and still drive my car, so i'm gonna get everything else put together and then just swap motors. anyways, my couple questions are this- if i want to do 2.2L should i try to find a 5s block? or just stick with st185 block. i'm planning to have around 500whp. also, is our crank cast? and with this kind of power do i need to look into other crank options and if so what are those? anyways, any help and advice would be appreciated. i'm pretty excited about what i plan to do for my project, even though i know i'm gonna get shit from you guys. lol

Terracar

Many swear by the 5s block. Using the 5s block bring a series of hurdles with itself:
-Need to remove material from the rear ribs to fit AWD trans
-The clutch will have to be hybrid unless you can get the 3s f/w machined to fit bolt holes of the 5sfe crank.
-The 5s block does not have oil squirters, so may need to be machined to fit those (not sure if they add those on the strokers or if it is left as-is)
-I am sure there is some I am missing.

The cranks in both the 5s and 3s are forged, so no worries on the crank's strength.

One other piece of advice, research and research again. I know there are a few people who have done the 5s block - I believe Greg (Wartowels) is working on one at the moment.

Also hit up the MR2 forums, I am sure they have a few over there.

Or hey, if you really wanted to go wild, toss in a 1mz and boost it. :) I could get you a killer deal on one.

-Terracar

Smaay

i have a stroker built out of a 3S-GTE in my all-trac. use the 3S block , 5S crank, turn the crank for 3S rods and get wiseco pistons from ATS. thats all you need.