problem with code 34-35.

derek1

fresh rebuild on 1990 all trac. factory ct26 turbo, factory wastegate, factory exhaust manifold, aftermarket downpipe. no codes for running rich/lean, but pulling codes for 34 and code 35. pulls hard in first gear, but in second hits fuel cut. code 35 is for open/short in turbo pressure sensor, could it be possibly causing the code 34 as well? i've already checked and there is 5V going to the pressure sensor, telling me the wiring to the sensor is ok, so im heading towards possible bad pressure sensor? any input would be great. thanks.

88gt4DE

Make sure the hose coming from it doesnt have a hole in it somewhere , I had a similar problem and the hose to the wastegate had blown off. Did this just start happening all of a sudden ?

derek1

ya, just recently. itll pull hard in first gear but after that any type of load it'll hit fuel cut right away. i also noticed when i turn the key on, my boost gauge is pegged at full boost at all times. which makes me think an electrical problem.

derek1

ya so im definitely scratchin my head on this one.. i work at a toyota dealership, decided to price out the pressure sensor, even at my discount its costing me $250.00 :0. so im gonna check the wiring between the sensor and the computer, it's suppose to change voltage values as different vacuum is applied. so im crossin my fingers for a possible short making the boost gauge read positive at all times?

derek1

i've never been one to disable stuff on cars. i like to keep em fairly stock. and id rather fix the problem than just hide it, i mean its got fuel cut for a reason. safety. and im not tryin to hurt the motor i just did a fresh rebuild on.

sentraman

It could be due to your down pipe causing boost creep, which would signal your boost pressure sender to put the cat into limp mode. I know with my mr2 when I did the ko down pipe, I would always get fuel cut due to that extra 2-3psi of boost. You would fix it by getting a fuel cut defender.

derek1

well the reason i dont think its the dp, is because right when i turn the car on it automatically pegs to full boost. which makes me 99.9% sure electrical problem.

sentraman

Well, again baseing this off my mr2, when I undid the plu and vacuum line to the solenoid, it did have the needle at full boost.

88gt4DE

sentraman":2aq8y3rx said:
Well, again baseing this off my mr2, when I undid the plu and vacuum line to the solenoid, it did have the needle at full boost.

Interesting , havent run into this one before :shrug: , thinking .....

88gt4DE

I had 34 on mine , I remember this however my gauge wasnt stuck ... Is it stuck key on ? or just when engine is running ?

88gt4DE

ok so if gauge doesnt peg until its running , somehow you have pressure being show which should be neg at idle. I half wonder if the wastegate is stuck open ... I've seen and heard of some aftermarket downpipes causing wastegate to stick ... gotta be that or something with the turbo overhaul went wrong ... Looking at all the toyota manual stuff , i dont see a diag chart for that one here ... codes yes , but not the gauge pegged at idle ...

derek1

well, sort of fixed. found an open in the wiring from the boost sensor to the ECU. fixed wire, boost gauge works fine & code 35 went away. went out and drove it, worked ok for a bit, then started fuel cutting again, brought it back to the garage and checked the codes, now it's only throwing a code 34.

88gt4DE

well , that will def cause you to hit fuel cut faster. Im still running the stock exhaust cept for the downpipe and I never hit it ... however brother is running full 3 and his hits fuel cut stupid fast ... more exhaust flow will cause that hence the fuel cut defender things ... I would want a controller though prior to using something like that ...

derek1

well i only wanna run stock boost, nothing higher. i dont see a point in me getting a boost controller. and the downpipe is the only thing that should matter.. what would a full 3" exhaust have to do with fuel cut? i've seen people run open downpipe and not hit fuel cut.