For those with custom 3" st185 full exhaust

smog7

How much did you pay? Did they charge extra for the tight bends (over the rear axle)?

I plan on using a 3" cat (nazi cal laws), but I'm guessing that besides this the price shouldn't be too bad.

underscore

I paid something like $1200 for a full exhaust and custom seat bracket, $150 of which was the muffler, and $200 was for a flex pipe, this was from the downpipe back. The rear axle is the only issue, apart from that it's almost a perfectly straight pipe (just a couple bends at the front, then straaaaaight, then the rear axle.)

Terracar

I paid $1100 for mine - DP back full 3" mandrel bent stainless. This has a cat pipe and a test pipe (see the group buy below). I went with an under axle for the cat back. To this day I have yet to scrape the underaxle portion. I live in the boonies so the road to my house is uneven and just gravel and never had a problem, nor with speed bumps have I had an issue. The shop I used did a great job and it sits nice anc close so it doesn't hang down.

-Terracar

lalojamesliz

Terracar":d6fqy82v said:
I paid $1100 for mine - DP back full 3" mandrel bent stainless. This has a cat pipe and a test pipe (see the group buy below). I went with an under axle for the cat back. To this day I have yet to scrape the underaxle portion. I live in the boonies so the road to my house is uneven and just gravel and never had a problem, nor with speed bumps have I had an issue. The shop I used did a great job and it sits nice anc close so it doesn't hang down.

-Terracar
underscore":d6fqy82v said:
I paid something like $1200 for a full exhaust and custom seat bracket, $150 of which was the muffler, and $200 was for a flex pipe, this was from the downpipe back. The rear axle is the only issue, apart from that it's almost a perfectly straight pipe (just a couple bends at the front, then straaaaaight, then the rear axle.)

!!!!damn!!!! That's alot! I paid the shop that did my stainless, mandrel bent with a cali catalytic from the down pipe to the muffler $350 i bought the muffler though.

underscore

somethings off about the price, pretty sure just a 3" cat would cost that much here. over or under axle?

smog7

james, any more info on your exhaust setup? pictures?

$1k exhaust for a $4k car is just way too much.

underscore

try $1k exhaust on a $2k car :cry:

3" is sooo worth it though, going from clogged stock to this was amazing.

tubasteve

Terracar":3e7jo354 said:

-Terracar

Mine came with the car....went unger rear axle, @stock height...went through a woop in temecula wine country....scariest moment I had. Like meal trays on rear tires at 110.....that exhaust is somewhere I don't see.

The the inch you built looks amazing.

-jr

4rsnduction

Full custom exhaust by one of the best exhaust shops in Sydney, Australia cost $1150.
Followed the exact path the stock pipe took, full 3inch mandrel bent stainless with no catalytic converter, no resonator or mid pipe muffler and because the varex can be operated as a proper straight through 3inch pipe instead of a muffler there is absolutely no restrictions. I supplied the flex pipe as i had a 3inch flex pipe lying around......im not sure if you guys have anything like the varex muffler, but its fully closed mode is still very flow worthy, so full boost isn't a problem. Definitely not cheap Chinese crap like alot of the other brands.
$100 dump pipe
$250 mid pipe section
$600 mid pipe to muffler, fitting/labor
$200 varex muffler (ebay 2nd hand)

4rsnduction

underscore":37mskvqw said:
that's actually fairly cheap for a muffler, no?
Half price pretty much, depending on what model varex you want.
It was in very good condition, was only missing the electronic sender but the motor on the muffler worked perfectly.

awolo

1k+ for an exhaust system??

That's absolutely crazy.

Heck, you can get a 3" cat back, stainless, system on ebay for $350. (muffler included)

RafaCalde

$250 - including flex pipe, bending(thought it's not mandrel but I'm not really picky about that (yet)), and a flange before the rear subframe so i can remove the midpipe if need be.

Already had the Apexi N1 muffler as it was given to me, 8 inch flex section, and straight from the the stock gutted cat i had at the time, then bought the Berk Tech downpipe which brought my total for my exhaust to $530. Love the way my car sounds at idle, cruising, and WOT.

4rsnduction

awolo":2zvh4qb6 said:
1k+ for an exhaust system??

That's absolutely crazy.

No, that's not crazy.
Crazy is paying $700 for a brand new distributor from the Toyota dealership,
After that day, everything else seemed cheap to me....
(i had the money to waste at the time, still no regrets)

EDIT : eBay exhaust systems are a waste of money, cheap thin steel, worst quality catalytic converters and if it installs perfectly on the first try you got lucky...the people who make it use the cheapest parts so they can make a profit. Not everything from eBay fits perfectly....my dump pipe is an eBay unit...and it had to have the flange bolt holes widened as they were not lined up correctly :x so far no cracking problems.

I just bought and received one. Looks as pictured. Has a few welds in it rather then being mandel bent. But you do get the midpipe and the catback portions. Going to try out the midpipe eventually and cut it and put in a cat.

kn0wledge185

I have the same one my trac..... fits fine no rubbing or anything, n all my bends are mandrel...... Only spots that are welded are flanges...... Sounds good as well:grin:

KORacing

I'll be making a full SS system for the 185 out of 3" pipe for two cars here in the shop currently (one is my wife's 90 that's been sitting here neglected for going on 6 years since we bought it), and was looking to making a production piece. I guess what is the price that people would be willing to pay for a quality made piece? I'm sure I could do it for less out of mild steel and just painted. The mufflers would be Magnaflow or Vibrant. Catalytic converters would be Magnaflow/Carsound if you required one.