What are the best fitting downpipes?

2_Liter_Turbo

I have a TopSpeed downpipe currently, and I hate it. It's made out of a low grade wannabe Stainless Steel, and the fitment sucks. I want to replace it with a quality piece. I was looking at the Berk DP, and wanted to know what other people have and how well they fit. I want a 3" DP, not a 2.5", so the KO piece wont work for me.

BTW, car is a 90 ST185. lol

klue

KO racing is the best one, other than my own. If your rocking a ct flange you done need a 3inch

RoAdbOy

i have got a cheap ebay one... 3'' SSAC (ss auto chrome) but i'm very happy with it, about 5000miles/8000km's, and always hard driving, but no problems with it. important is to support the downpipe with a clamp so it does not break.
no fitting problems or anything, it does direct bolt up. plug and play.
of course is the aussie or berk or any other brand better quality than a cheap ebay downpipe, but as i said ''no problems with the cheap SSAC'' :)

2_Liter_Turbo

klue":oczfd4n1 said:
KO racing is the best one, other than my own. If your rocking a ct flange you done need a 3inch

I understand that the advantage of a 3" is very small on the stock CT turbos, so you don't "need" them, but I just don't see the point of going with a 2.5" when a 3" one is available. And you talk about your own, lol, please elaborate :D

toayoztan

The SSAC downpipe will not allow the wastegate to fully open, but i'm not sure how much this affects the performance or if they have fixed this issue.

Basically, when the wastegate flapper opens, it hits against the bell housing/elbow part of the housing about 3/4 or so a way out.

I never had issues with boost creep though when I ran it.

Bryan

klue

8000kms, is surprising that your ebay downpipe held up that long. But I can promise you it will not last as long as ANY of the half decent pipes. Literally yesterday I re welded a customers down pipe which was cracking around every weld egay fail!

The downpipe is the most important section of the exhaust, it handles the most heat, has the most weight bearing and vibration. It is also the first section of pipe the exhaust gas sees. The KO racing pipe being 2.5 has the smoothest exit section of all the pipes I have seen, it is MIG welded construction, using thick pipe, and thick flanges. As long as you have a 3" exhaust behind it your not going to develop enough pressure in the pipe to require a 3inch pipe. Not saying its not nice, but I prefer a better flowing 2.5 than a cheesy 3 inch pipe just because its 3 inch. The aussie on the other had WAS a well made pipe, I had one for about 6 years of heavy driving 100,000kms and NO issues besides corrosion as it is made of mild steel.

Right now I run my own version of downpipe, 2.5 primary with a separate WG dump section completely separate from the main turbine flow. Best pipe IMO and sounds like a MOFO

Cheers

underscore

I have a mystery brand downpipe, I'm pretty sure it's an XS Power, I only had my boost jump after I put full 3" after the pipe so I can't comment on that, but the bottom end was a ways off from the midpipe, so I had to pull the midpipe a bit to make it line up.

I've had a berk dp in place for over 40k km on my car and it has held up fine, fitments great. I used it with my stock ct26 and then the ct20b i've had on there for 25k km

2_Liter_Turbo

JamesDeane":1f90bmte said:
I've had a berk dp in place for over 40k km on my car and it has held up fine, fitments great. I used it with my stock ct26 and then the ct20b i've had on there for 25k km

What did you do about the A/C lines and oil dipstick? I read that those are the only fitment issues with the berk pipe.

DudeMan

2_Liter_Turbo":1170fg99 said:
JamesDeane":1170fg99 said:

What did you do about the A/C lines and oil dipstick? I read that those are the only fitment issues with the berk pipe.

Not sure about the AC lines since I removed mine but all you have to do for the dipstick is bend the shaft it sits in slightly.

I gave it a few taps with a hammer and it fits fine.

IMG_0608.jpg

underscore

I find it interesting how people talked about how great the Berk is when it doesn't even clear in the stock engine bay?

2_Liter_Turbo

underscore":3hsw3m3d said:
I find it interesting how people talked about how great the Berk is when it doesn't even clear in the stock engine bay?

It was designed for an MR2 which has its dipstick in a different location. A buddy of mine has one on his MR2, and it has a great fit and looks like a very well made piece. It's the best DP I have seen for a 3S in terms of quality manufacturing.

2_Liter_Turbo

DudeMan":21y3qh6y said:
2_Liter_Turbo":21y3qh6y said:
JamesDeane":21y3qh6y said:

Not sure about the AC lines since I removed mine but all you have to do for the dipstick is bend the shaft it sits in slightly.

I gave it a few taps with a hammer and it fits fine.

IMG_0608.jpg

Nice, thanks for the picture! I still have my A/C (which works), so I don't want to get rid of it, lol. I've read that you can just "move" them out of the way though.

DudeMan

Yeah I don't think they would interfere too much, probably just a slight bend here and there.

I looked into most of the downpipes available before purchasing mine, ATS, SSAC, KO, eBay, etc.

The Berk just seemed like the best bang for buck, I got mine for just over $200, couldn't be happier with it.