Who here has gutted there TVIS?

-==L=a=N=c=E==-

Im just after a few peoples experiences after gutting the tvis...

1)Did fuel consumption go up?
2)Off boost driving made any more difficult due to less torque?
3)Any noticeable differences in topend power?
4)Lag?

Anything else that is worth mentioning?

I've gotten my plate gutted, but i havn't fitted it up yet. But im sort in a 50:50 mindset about it. I can chase up an ungutted one if needed.

A

Anonymous

I had a st205 intake manifold on my Gen2 engine. Driving without boost was horrible, especially hill driving. Lag was extrem. Topend power was it not worth. I removed it.
I think the ecu maps are adjusted for tvis usage.

A

Anonymous

I had a complete st205 intake setup, ct20b, st205 intercooler, st205 tb and intake manifold.
To fit the manifold to the head i took some material off.

Cimg3340.jpg

BraveUlysses

Keep the TVIS. You can do a search on mr2oc.com and find some dyno sheets where they show how much power is lost by not using it.

silverarrow

BraveUlysses":1gaw2fjr said:
Keep the TVIS. You can do a search on mr2oc.com and find some dyno sheets where they show how much power is lost by not using it.

I thought I read on the mr2 boards that it does not make you lose power nor gain any power besides gaining up on top better without it.

BraveUlysses

I specifically recall seeing a dyno sheet showing a decrease in torque and hp from a removed TVIS. Further dyno sheets showed that if you can actuate it at a lower rpm than stock (through an MSD ignition box), it increased torque further.

-==L=a=N=c=E==-

saved_1992":2wsr2vsn said:
i have mine removed in my 88 and no ill effects.

Would you care to elaborate?

also i am interested in Dyno Sheets. Ive looked over mr2oc and gt4oc and anyother tvis related sites, but nothing that really has experiences of it removed.

saved_1992

i bought the car with the engine in parts. one the tvis plates was missing so i removed all of them. fixed the engine, at first the car was all stock drove fine, was quick, did not feel a drop in horsepower in the lower ranges. (i have a 1992 and did have a 93 for comparison). gas mileage was in the range of 26-28mpg average, now the engine has been upgraded with a 2gen/ct20b, 205 ic, 3 inch exhaust all the way back,mbc,g force ecu, and lets just say i dont miss the tvis.

did not look at the other responses to have a loss of power, but if you are keeping the tvis make sure the butterflies are on securely. i have seen the plates come off of 2 seperate engines.

my personal opinion is if you are going to upgrade and run a good amount of boost just remove the plates and leave the bar.

-==L=a=N=c=E==-

Well i am chasing a fair bit of power. Going a TD06 kti from ATS in the next 12months. So im trying to minimise any failure points. And as u've stated. The butterflies are known to break off, which isn't healthy for an engine.

I've got mine completed gutted and the holes all filled. Just have to install it on my rebuild engine.

Now i just gotta figure out mpg to km/l and ill bet set. Hopefully it doesn't hurt economy to much.