Air intake GT4 RC

belanger33

Hey everyone,
I juste wanted your help here because i am looking to buy myself an aftermarket air intake but i am wondering what size adapter i need if i will be having no more AFM (converting to MAP)?
Take in consideration that i Have a RC model so is the pre-turbo piping bigger since the AFM is bigger than the normal Gt-four......
Also if anyone suggest one particular intake over another...
Thanks for your time and help!

Corey

Are you planning on keeping the original intake and airbox?

You'll get far more performance by going to a straight intake.

Broz

Hi, are you also getting a new ecu or upgrading to an ST205 ecu? otherwise the RC ECU wont work as far as Im aware as the AFM is needed.

Cheers,
Mark

belanger33

Yes i have the st205 ecu....my question is what size coupler would i need from the pre turbo piping to plus an intake on?
On top of that if you have sugestions on a setup or brand of intake id like to know!
Thanks!

Corey

The intake pipeing at the AFM end is 80mm in diameter.

Most aftermarket cone filters will be 3" or ~75mm

The stock intake piping if very restrictive - I found a massive improvement by going to a straight intake.

I'm using a K&N Cone filter - they are only ~50$

belanger33

You mean the rubber pre turbo piping is restrictive even with an aftermarket intake at the end of it? If you placed a straight aluminum piece did you have to relocate the battery? Where did you get your aluminum piece and what dimension you have for that piece?
Thanks a lot!

Corey

The airbox is likely the restriction. Even when I had a KN panel filter in my airbox, it wasn't nearly as free flowing as my new straight intake.

Straight intake is also a more efficient route and can be made shorter than the stock pipe route.

For my intake, I purchased a smaller battery (Braille 11 lbs) and relocated it next to the tranny mount. The pipe is just 7" of 3" diameter aluminum tube with 2 smaller tubes welded on for the ISC valve on the throttle body, and the PCV valve.

I'll snap a picture of my set up shortly, but it looks very similar to everyone else's straight intake. You can probably find lots of examples in the Engine bay picture thread in the Gallery.

belanger33

Alright, i don't think i will go with a straight aluminum tube since my battery is new and i dont feel like locating it in the trunk.
Therefore, my question is should i fit the Air intake right on the pre-trubo rubber piping or should i get myself a rubber coupling to fit in between the air intake and the pre-turbo piping?
Thanks for the help again.

Meurz

Doesn't matter, as long as it's properly mounted without leaks. The less piping restrictions and the more cold air you can get into it, the better.