Turbo upgrade on gen 3.

phattyduck

"no issues" is relative. Since the ECU has no real feedback about the change in VE due to the turbo, you will likely change the way things are tuned.

My 3rd gen motor ran right around 12:1 AFR after an intake and full exhaust was put on it (instead of the stock 10:1 or whatever). If I upgrade the turbo, the car will have to be re-tuned to match the turbo otherwise it will run lean. You may be able to get away with it, but you will have to check it with a wideband O2 to be sure.

-Charlie

CMS-GT4

I know some have supported the disco patato with stock setup. It does not give much power over the 20b but it gives quicker spool and better power band.

aus jd 2703

What bothers me is boost tapers off from 5k onwards from 16psi to 14 or less.
I really wanna get as close to 300whp with out going forged.

toayoztan

You can hit 300whp safely w/o forgies with the proper tune. Our internals are pretty stout as is. I believe the rods themselves are semi-forged (can't quite remember) with the pistons being the limiting factor (again, depens on your tune and common sense).

Bryan

CMS-GT4

The rev3 engine can likely handle it, but you need a proper tune to keep from breaking it. Your going to have to also upgrade your fuel etc.. Honestly for the cost, I do not think its worth shooting for 300whp. Mr2s are breaking the 300whp barrier on the 3rd gen engine, but not by a lot. I think you might consider shooting for some thing more like 260-270whp. The ct20 can do it, but you really need to watch those fr's.