any aftermarket TMIC you guys would recommend?

timek1m

hey guys wondering if any of you guys went TMIC aftermarket rather than going the FMIC. seeing what you guys did, or would recommend doing if i were to keep mine Top Mount. lmk what you guys think. thanks

Corey

If you can find an ARC topmount - buy it. They are very rare, and very good. But just like every other topmount its susceptable to heatsoak.

Other options include finding a Bay Area TMIC, or purchasing a core and having custom end tanks welded up to suit our application.

Happy hunting.

Corey

Ebay has a number of ATA intercooler cores available (no end tanks). From what I've read, Bell intercoolers makes quality cores with custom endtanks in hundreds of different sizes.

So its possible to buy a core that would fit our application, and weld up some end tanks using aluminum sheet and pipe.

Here is a picture of the ARC intercooler.

image.php

toayoztan

Or you can go the WTA option, which is still a top-mount. If you can, find the 205 setup vs the 185cs/rc setup.

At least find the intercooler. Piping, pump, and heat exchanger (mustang) are easy to customize and throw together.

Bryan

4rsnduction

I got myself an ARC top mount, was using it for about a year before i went with the water to air setup.
I must say it was a very good intercooler when moving at speeds.
Healthy flow rate aswel.
The only reason i purchased it was to take it to a reputable shop and have them make a replica....the one i purchased has been "loved" thoroughly, fins are bent, its dirty on the outside....pretty much its not a looker but it does it job very well.
From memory it set me back around $400ish
Still got it in the shed somewhere............I recommend getting yourself one while u save for an RC bumper and hood to compliment a water to air in the future :)

EDIT : unlike the picture above my ARC had the blow off valve on the other end tank.....exactly where the EGR stuff is/was.....clearly the Japanese didn't like emissions control

timek1m

thanks guys for all the info. i got a lot of looking to do. ill let you guys know how the project goes.

-larry

monkninja

Anyone who has run both an aftermarket top mount and a front mount notice a big difference? I have heard that there is a bit of lag with a front mount intercooler, but you don't have to worry about heat sink... But with an aftermarket top mount and a spral fan I am wondering if that would be the most ideal set up for the price.

Any thoughts?

Corey

I haven't run a front mount - but with regard to the ARC topmount:

As long as there is airflow, the intercooler gets COLD. It's impressive the delta T on that thing. The turbo side can be too hot to touch, while the throttle body side is completely cold.

But as soon as it hits traffic or you park the car, it will heat soak within minutes.

However, it will cool right back down again as soon as it sees some airflow.

underscore

If you're stuck in traffic though, you don't need to be hitting heavy boost anyways. Just give it a minute after you get onto open road before you fully boot it.

toayoztan

Can an aftermarket/ARC TMIC even be fitted with a spal fan? I didn't think there was room for this.

I think spray nozzles to cool the TMIC may be an option, just not sure how practical or effective it would be.

Bryan

Corey

I think there would be room for a small fan. I don't think the fan would be worth it though because it would block some airflow into the scoop, and like Underscore mentioned, in traffic its not as great of a concern, and it cools back down once rolling again pretty quickly.

It doesn't need highway speeds to cool it either, although it certainly helps.

Mafix

i noticed no measurable lag after going front mount. only gains to be had.
if you are going to stay top mount then i'd suggest the rc or 205 wta.