ST165 intercooler limits

Q&A regarding engines, turbos, and intercoolers and power upgrades

ST165 intercooler limits

Postby justin_sane » Tue May 01, 2012 11:08 pm

Hey everyone. I searched around and couldnt find my answer.

I am looking to find out how much boost pressure the ST165 intercooler can handle. Im sure it will be fine for what Im trying to do, but I thought I would ask people with more experience with these cars.

I am looking to replace the interheater on my 88 supercharged mr2, its my rallycross setup, so i am looking for a more efficient option. I already have an ST165 intercooler, so it would be ideal. Car has an HKS supercharger pulley, should be making around 10psi i believe.

thanks
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
justin_sane

Re: ST165 intercooler limits

Postby jaydog82 » Tue May 01, 2012 11:17 pm

My st165 stock set up is doing just fine with 16psi, I did do the constant run mod for the pump and I added a 10" fan to the heat exchanger.
mine is the red one on the left

authorized AMSOIL dealer @ www.jpautomotive.org
jaydog82
Club Member

Postby Mafix » Tue May 01, 2012 11:44 pm

a good pump and heat exchanger go a long way. the intercooler is a POS without them. but for a sc mr2 i believe this is more then enough. sure beats the god aweful ata intercooler.
Mafix
Gold Member

Postby justin_sane » Wed May 02, 2012 11:39 pm

Awesome thanks guys, I just wanted to make sure before I bothered putting it on. I knew the 10 psi wasnt much, but i wanted to make sure if i go to 12psi that its not too much for it lol. the isupercharger would likely the weaker point in my setup in this case. im not going too crazy with this car in terms of power.

I will definetly do the pump upgrade/mod and install a good heat exchanger and cooling fans as youve recommended.
justin_sane

Return to Performance and Power