St165 power loss?

jaydog82

I think I am having a power/ alt problem or a grounding problem. When I drive my alltrac hard it feels like there is something holding me back, and sometimes my battery and brakelight come on and Sheri so often I get a cel for no power to the edu. Anyone had a problem like this?

88gt4DE

Yes, check the wiring over the alternator. It gets cooked from the heat and then makes it not charge. Not staying thats yer problem for sure but it a common thing to check first ...

jaydog82

This is starting to make more sence to me, this would explain why my car feels more powerfully when it is cold. I have never had this problem, is it pretty comen on the 3sgte? Any good fixes other than heat wraping the alt wires?

88gt4DE

Gonna have to repair it somehow , wire and shrink wrap. Sometimes the copper inside the wire will break and outside rubber will still be attached ( you prol know that already , just a note 8) ) I have a similar issue with my cooling fans where they will kick on and off erratically when engine compartment is hot , just havent been able to locate the break ...

jaydog82

so it turns out that my alternator was bad, i still think that my car should have more power. maybe im just to use to it and feel the need for more :)

88gt4DE

well good to hear you got it fixed. Yes you get use to the power and then want more :) do you have a downpipe in place of the cat yet ?

88gt4DE

well , better than with the big cat in for sure with the downpipe in it ... List is endless for upgrades , just gotta make sure motor can handle it and start throwing parts at it :wink: