I threw a shim, what happened!?!?

Q&A regarding engines, turbos, and intercoolers and power upgrades

Re: I threw a shim, what happened!?!?

Postby alltracst185 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:54 pm

I was told that I had to go shimless because of running higher duration cams (HKS 272's) Go that route this time :D
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
st185- HKS exhaust, Aussie mid pipe and custom 3" down pipe, Tial 50mm BOV, HKS 272 cams, HKS adj cam gears, custom FMIC, HKS GT3040, Tial 38mm wastegate, AEM ems, fully built bottom end, RC 1200cc injectors, at 25 lbs and almost complete :D
alltracst185
Established Member

Postby FWD-3SGTE » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:53 am

It's in the plans :wink:
FWD-3SGTE
Club Member

Postby FWD-3SGTE » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:45 am

UPDATE!

I finally got the head to the machine shop. They got the valves out to inspect the cause of the incident. They found no sticky valve stems and no scoring on the valve seals, pretty much no sign of what happened. They DO think the valve must have floated for some reason and that's when the shim got tossed. Why the valve floated? Beats me. They were thinking that maybe the valve spring wasn't strong enough and didn't close fast enough, but it's all HKS and apparently they make their springs to work well with the cams.

I contacted HKS to see what they think and we'll go from there. One thing for sure is that I now have a $300 paper weight :bangshead:
FWD-3SGTE
Club Member

Postby l0ch0w » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:35 am

High lift cams are well known to throw shims.

I wish I could have stumbled upon this earlier, I would have told you the procedure on how to verify if your valve was sealing properly without you having to remove your head...

HKS cams means you really should go shimless... I could search for the thread describing the physics behind why this is important, but I dont feel like digging it up right now. Just take my word for it :)

-Andrew
Andrew

1991 Red Alltrac
Frankenstein engine, lots of mods :P
l0ch0w
Established Member

1991 Toyota Celica

Postby FWD-3SGTE » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:24 pm

Lol, will do Andrew, it's actually already in the though process :)

Now I need to dig up the part number for the shims, I'm having my machine shop jot down all of the thicknesses so I can order the correct bucket from Toyota but not sure exactly what buckets to start with :twisted:
FWD-3SGTE
Club Member

Postby C-dubb » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:26 pm

Same thing happened to me last year. Had the machine shop record all of the clearances and ordered the shimless buckets as needed, at least as close as I could. I ended up having to buy new valves bc I couldn't get the buckets exact, so they just cut valve stems to get the right clearance. Was a good opportunity to get a whole new valvtrain, camshafts and all. good luck.
Cory Wilson 1990 st185
C-dubb
Club Member

Previous

Return to Performance and Power