Whats your favourite blow off valve?

Q&A regarding engines, turbos, and intercoolers and power upgrades

Re: Whats your favourite blow off valve?

Postby Mafix » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:06 pm

to be honest, i love the tial i have but i hate the sound (or rather lack there of).
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Mafix
Gold Member

Postby zero06 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:05 pm

synapse seems like a gimmick. open at vac means you need a filter (or should use one) and that only restricts venting, which is its primary purpose. :bangshead:

also I cant see any advantages to open at vac? It cant flow enough to make a power difference, only enough to disrupt laminar flow in the intake?

I have a tial 50mm havent got the car together yet though...

In reality anything is better than stock, which is nothing :lol:
1991 White st185 eternal project
2006 Silver Metallic RX8 6 Speed Daily (until alltrac is done if ever)
1976 Copper Metallic Ford Gran Torino Restomod Muscle-Boat
zero06
Club Member

Postby ZeroDrift » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:44 pm

Out of the several I've used and the many I've seen on customer cars in the past I am still very much an advocate of Synapse. On a MAF car they don't make much sense with out the anti-stall kit. Having the valve open at non boost times is ideal when there is a long distance from filter to throttle body (ie: FMIC). This would act as a turbo bypass for a more responsive driving experience while not in boost.

As far as the size of the opening (flow) honestly that size is more than enough. As an example, take a look at Borg Warner's EFI turbochargers with a built in re-circ BOV. This is where the industry seems to think bigger is better and its just not the case.

While I've no personal experience with Forge's diverter valves, I've heard some good things about them.

Noise and such is more for the user, but as far as your turbo/engine is concerned, the speed of operation and ability to not leak is what matters at the end of the day. On a side note, on MAF equipped cars, it is less than ideal to vent any metered air to the atmosphere. Technically it should be recirculated back to the turbo inlet pipe. :wink:

Edit: Also I would have to agree that Synapse has a tainted reputation as they have gotten into at least one major online 'bash fest' with Tial. As far as I'm concerned both Tial and Synapse have made fools of themselves yet both offer great products. That being said,I still prefer Synapse and I've been using their BOV's for years without trouble.
ZeroDrift
Club Member

1988 Toyota Celica

Postby donnyavery » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:38 pm

i have been using turbosmart kompact dual port it the best one i used specially for an AFM censored carhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBS9yU9_Q7E&feature=player_embedded#!its easy to hook up easy to adjust and it works me is plum back and bov the pic was from putting together so the plum back pipe was not on yet
Attachments
bov.jpg
it's called nitrous moron
donnyavery
Club Member

1990 Toyota Celica

Postby tw2 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:32 am

Thanks everyone I got a tial recirculating one in the end. I am not a fan of the noise just the turbo saving part.
Thomas, JDM 90 185, 06 350z
tw2
Established Member

Postby lumbercis » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:23 pm

OEM Toyota :smokes:
Caldina powered...
lumbercis
Gold Member

Postby celigts » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:26 pm

I like my non adjustable Hks. The chrome covered ones. Friends are jelly of it lol.
91 Celica Alltrac - Parts pile pending instal :P
3SGTE project motor very slow
Intake/Heat shield project slowly moving
Winnipegs respected TTI forum. join and love the community will welcome you with open arms and legs ? http://toptierimports.com/
celigts
Established Member

Postby tw2 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:57 am

lumbercis wrote:OEM Toyota :smokes:

You must have one of the very very compact alltrac ones. I would ask for a photo but I don't think my eyes are good enough to pick it out.

The oem one on my mr2 was great, did the job but you have to have it recirculate back into a baffled air box, the partial throttle wooosh was really really annoying.
tw2
Established Member

Postby lumbercis » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:10 pm

I have the one that came on my Caldina engine. I imagine it's identical to the gen3 and probably gen2 mr2 ones. Part throttle wooshing does get annoying after a while.

Bryan "NoShoes" Moore used two OEM BOVs on his high horsepower street build. You can find some pics on mr2oc if you're interested.
Caldina powered...
lumbercis
Gold Member

Postby tw2 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:17 pm

Probably the most enjoyable thing I have ever installed. Most likely because it was so easy and there was no pain involved. I will see how it sounds. I will have to have a new intake made if I want to recirculate it.

tw2
Established Member

Postby Mafix » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:58 pm

oem is bosche. same ones use by vw group.
Mafix
Gold Member

Postby celigts » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:20 pm

Anyone have or heard the old school super blow bov? Found one for less than $50 and having old school parts sounds awesome to me.
91 Celica Alltrac - Parts pile pending instal :P
3SGTE project motor very slow
Intake/Heat shield project slowly moving
Winnipegs respected TTI forum. join and love the community will welcome you with open arms and legs ? http://toptierimports.com/
celigts
Established Member

Previous

Return to Performance and Power