exhaust manifold: single vs twin entry

Q&A regarding engines, turbos, and intercoolers and power upgrades

exhaust manifold: single vs twin entry

Postby gpmarzan » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:59 pm

Hey guys. Question regarding the old st165 exhaust manifold vs the twin entry on the 2nd gen. Pretty much on the turbo placement. Does the singly entry places the turbo lower and to the left(or right?) compare to the 2nd gen? I know there was a small placement difference between the two but I just cant remember. Trying to see if it will help with my clearance issue I have.

btw...I do miss my st165. My 92 MR2T is great, but just not the same. Someone scored a nice st185 around my town. He was asking about my MR2. Maybe I'll go trade him? lol :P
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Patrick M.
st165

gpmarzan
Established Member

Re: exhaust manifold: single vs twin entry

Postby GT4_Vinnie » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:32 am

From what I can see, with both manifolds, the 165 is located at a slightly different angle then the 185, I think when its on the vehicle, i didn't notice any issues with left or right movement, just the 185 manifold had less distance from the block/head and didn't allow factory WG actuator arm to seat properly, Hence why I've got external.

Hope that helped a little.

Vinnie
Vinnie,
1988 GT4 Celica
GT4_Vinnie
Club Member

Postby Awesome-Trac » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:08 am

[quote="gpmarzan"]Hey guys. Question regarding the old st165 exhaust manifold vs the twin entry on the 2nd gen. Pretty much on the turbo placement. Does the singly entry places the turbo lower and to the left(or right?) compare to the 2nd gen? I know there was a small placement difference between the two but I just cant remember. Trying to see if it will help with my clearance issue I have.

btw...I do miss my st165. My 92 MR2T is great, but just not the same. Someone scored a nice st185 around my town. He was asking about my MR2. Maybe I'll go trade him? lol :)

If he trades I say "DO IT"
-1988 Celica Alltrac (white) Sold
-1988 Celica Alltrac (black) new project
-1990 Corolla sedan (sky blue) totalled by my brother :(
-1990 Celica GT-S hatchback (sky blue) daily driver

•Daniel
Awesome-Trac
Established Member

Postby gpmarzan » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:51 am

GT4_Vinnie wrote:From what I can see, with both manifolds, the 165 is located at a slightly different angle then the 185, I think when its on the vehicle, i didn't notice any issues with left or right movement, just the 185 manifold had less distance from the block/head and didn't allow factory WG actuator arm to seat properly, Hence why I've got external.

Hope that helped a little.

Vinnie

Thanks for the reply. The reason I asked is that I have a bullseye single port turbo mated with the 2nd gen dual exit manifold. The current placement of the turbo creates a contact point between the downpipe and ac compressor hard line. I pretty much had to beat the crap out of the dp and bend the ac line just to make it fit. I wanted to see if the st165 manifold would make the fit better.
Patrick M.
st165

gpmarzan
Established Member

Postby alltracman78 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:45 pm

If you've got a single entry turbo you may be better off with the single entry manifold, it will probably flow better.
alltracman78
GTFour God

Postby mx6er2587 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:43 pm

if I recall from when I had my single entry manifold it angles the turbo down more and brings it an inch or so closer to block
mx6er2587
Established Member

Return to Performance and Power